Honored Contributor

Re: And another selling technique that is irritating....

@mac116 That's awful and not that uncommon. When my late mom was still living alone in a triplex, the owner (a woman) lived on site and we thought she was a friend to my mom.  Mom didn't have expensive jewelry except HER mom's engagement ring. It was always in the same place in her jewelry box.

Well "friend" would periodically, with everyone's ok, come in and check on mom and guess what was missing when mom died? The diamond ring. We know she took it but couldn't do anything about it.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

So sad!

Honored Contributor

Some are so easily "irritated" or maybe some are just bored and like to see their complaint in writing.  Selling is the object of any sales person and company!!  Why be irritated.  If you want an item buy it if not don't -no matter what any sales says!!!  It's just background noise!

Super Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Most seniors will agree our kids don't want our "stuff," even jewels.  

People used to collect things that were linked to status. Gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware, fancy china,pianos, tchotchkes like Hummels, fancy dining room sets with china cabinets, all of those things were "goals" for a lot of women. Clothing was better made (but more expensive then compared to wages) so you had less but what you had was better quality.

But then cheap, overseas mass production changed everything. Things became disposable. I was raised to keep things but I see my kids' generation is totally different. Social media makes people constantly want to update their clothing and decor so perfectly good things are tossed and cheap new things are bought.

Older generations, with low prices on goods, fell into the trap of overaccumulation, justifying it with being able to "leave their kids something". Meanwhile younger people want experiences instead of the burden of stuff.

My mother-in-law viewed herself as low-income but she was a huge QVC shopper.  When she passed we cleaned out her jewelry.  There was, no exaggeration, easily $25,000 in costume jewelry she bought over the years in 20+ jewelry boxes.  Her tastes were let's say "eclectic" and none of us wanted anything. We donated it all. That's why it's important to buy things YOU love and not care about it being some sort of heirloom.

Esteemed Contributor

My family wants nothing.  Okay perhaps money but nothing else.  I am decluttering and hopefully will be able to get rid of lots of stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

When my mother passed recently I took her Sarah Coventry pins she wore so many years ago.  They were of no value monetarily but the memories of her wearing them made me smile. I wore one on my dress at her funeral. She didn't have any jewelry of value anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Leaving your jewelery to "heirs". If you want to do this,fine. But many people don't want or don't care for the products.I think it is just a way to sell,sell, sell!

@Group 5 minus 1   I think they know, our age group, may not want to spend money on jewelry now. Years ago, I spread my good and inherited jewelry out on the dining table and let my DH and DIL look it over. DIL chose a few things for the GDs when they get older. I made a list of who wants which pieces and put it in the safe with our will. 

The pieces left that I didn't want to wear/keep, were sold. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

When my mother passed recently I took her Sarah Coventry pins she wore so many years ago.  They were of no value monetarily but the memories of her wearing them made me smile. I wore one on my dress at her funeral. She didn't have any jewelry of value anymore.

@KCDiva When my Mom passed last August, my sister and I got permisson (necessary due to Covid) to get into her unit - it may have been the very same day she passed. Our intent was to collect all her jewelry and we did just that.  Hate to say it, but you can't trust anyone these days.  We of course went back later to get the rest of her things.  But I also wore some of her jewelry at her funeral, and I wear a lot of it today.  I think that would make her happy and it makes me happy too.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I think it's a snob-appeal tactic--that you're so "high class" that your QVC-type jewelry will be "part of your estate". QVC isn't the first one to try this approach (I wonder if it'll increase sales) and I thought it was pretty phoney then, and QVC using it just makes me laugh.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@KCDiva wrote:

@KCDiva When my Mom passed last August, my sister and I got permisson (necessary due to Covid) to get into her unit - it may have been the very same day she passed. Our intent was to collect all her jewelry and we did just that.  Hate to say it, but you can't trust anyone these days.  We of course went back later to get the rest of her things.  But I also wore some of her jewelry at her funeral, and I wear a lot of it today.  I think that would make her happy and it makes me happy too.

When my late m.i.l. was terminally ill, she told me to choose some of her jewelry that I liked. I kind of demurred a little but she was firm: "I want you to have it now so I can see you enjoy it."

Quite a woman, my mother-in-law.