Valued Contributor

Re: American West is Sold at Macy's???

i was sruprised to see this 

Frequent Contributor

Carolyn Pollack is also being sold on Kay Jewelers outlet website.  I was surprised to see that.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

Silver jewelry makers didn't do themselves any favors when they raised prices so much a few years ago. Silver prices went up, but their price increases were way out of scale with the increase ... and jewelry prices didn't come down when silver prices came down.

And, as we boomers retire, the need for jewelry goes way down. I'm lucky if I put on earrings when I go out these days.

@Wahoogaz  When prices for silver jewelry go up, it coincides w/ the cost to purchase that silver at that time. If the pieces aren’t sold by the time silver prices go down, we jewelers are stuck. I keep track of which pieces are made at what price of silver and charge accordingly. It’s part of how I keep my listed inventory.

Of course, I’m producing jewelry on a much smaller scale and usually don’t make more than I can sell at any given silver price.

Most Q jewelers must purchase a lot of silver to produce the thousands of pieces required. If not sold, the prices remain until it goes to clearance. With their mark up (usually 200% including the percentage to QVC), even at clearance, they’re making a profit.

Contributor

It's also sold on Jewelry.com.  Watch for their frequent sitewide savings.  For example, they just had a 30% off sitewide sale for Fourth of July.