Valued Contributor

*** American West Jewelry ***

FYI - as seen on their Facebook page:

E4436A13-18CB-4FF1-8177-09AE17E2F844.png

Esteemed Contributor

Re: *** American West Jewelry ***

I like many of Carolyn's designs, but one of the reasons I have been willing to pay a higher price for American West pieces is that the jewelry was made in the American Southwest.  I wouldn't say I like this farming out overseas. The quality may remain high, but outsourced manufacturing has often come with the excuse that it's the only way to keep manufacturing costs at a level that doesn't cause the retail price to become unaffordable for a great percentage of consumers. We'll see if that is the case for American West Jewelry.

This is off-topic, but whoever designs Carolyn Pollack's western apparel should be commissioned by QVC to design a few knockoff items for a small collection of shirts and jackets. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's all about profit. As a business person, I can understand but the name reflects American not India. I feel bad for all the people that lost their job so they could send manufacturing to India. I wouldn't be supporting her business but that is me. 

Honored Contributor

They made this information clear from the onset of the sale of their business.  I don't know why it takes some people so long to "get it".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@elated - I think that the business, as it stood, was unsustainable, and also that the owners were nearing retirement age and wanted or needed to do things at a less exhausting pace. Rather than close every aspect of their business down, they opted to do things less intensively. Once some of that control was relinquished, things (i.e. production location decisions, etc.) were no longer in their own hands. That is not an easy, or pleasant, decision for anyone who loves their business to make. 

I have seen many designers do the very same thing once they semi-retire, or retire and sell their business. I give Carolyn credit for coming back as the face and creative spirit of her line, even if she could not continue to maintain her prior workforce. I am sure that as she has the most passion for her line of jewelry, she was the most logical choice to sell it  on QVC.

I understand that others feel differently, and that is perfectly fine. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Carolyn is the heart of this business, just as Judith Ripka was the heart of her own business. As we age, we can no longer do, or perhaps we no longer want to do, everything that we once did. I wish Carolyn the very best, and I want to continue to enjoy her colorful line of more casual jewelry.    

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They made this information clear from the onset of the sale of their business.  I don't know why it takes some people so long to "get it".

@Kachina624 

I think as we discussed the other day erroneous statements like from Mary Beth that AW jewelry was made in the US confuses people.

Carolyn kept referring to her sterling made in India beads as native beads, i.e. like Navajo pearls and they're not.

Carolyn back to presenting now may add to further confusion since she stepped away. previously.  None of any of our business what her sale of the company details were but her presence may lead people to believe she didnt sell the company and still manufactures in the US.

Super Contributor

I only have Made in America southwest jewelry and that is all I purchase.

Respected Contributor

It seems to me that people are making a lot out of a company transition that was explained a long time ago.  The item descriptions clearly show they are imported and Carolyn made this clear when their transition was announced.  The items are also clearly stamped "India".  People  are going to complain no matter what is said or how.   

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

It seems to me that people are making a lot out of a company transition that was explained a long time ago.  The item descriptions clearly show they are imported and Carolyn made this clear when their transition was announced.  The items are also clearly stamped "India".  People  are going to complain no matter what is said or how.   

@Jk9 

Not necessarily complaining as you say but questioning for accuracy..

When Mary Beth 2 days ago said AW jewelry was made in the US that can bring up questions.

Honored Contributor

I posted about this in the "Calling Kachina" thread.

It was very clear to me that Carolyn would continue to design the jewelry and it would be made outside the U.S.

I notice a lot of previous pieces are being reintroduced. I haven't watched all of her recent shows yet, but I did DVR!  Smiley Happy