Valued Contributor

Re: American West Jewelry news

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@soozer wrote:

Up late last night and caught the American West jewelry show.....the items were great but I was taken by surprise when they skyped with Carolyn P.  Have not seen the show or her for a while and almost did not recognize her.  I apologize if I missed any health updates; hoping all is okay with her.  

I too was shocked when I saw Carolyn. I don't know if she's ill or was just having a bad day but she did look...well...awful.

I like her jewelry but it's much too pricey for me. The first item she showed--isn't it some kind of blossom or something? (and it looks like it weighs a ton)...where or when would you year it? maybe a sleevless evening gown with the necklace as your only jewelry, would be smashing.

The squash blossom necklaces? I think those are to die for. But I can't imagine where I would wear something like that. While visiting my mom in the nursing home? I dunno. They're gorgeous but I can't imagine one as part of my life enough to justify the cost. 

I think the price of her jewelry is high because it's made in the US. Sometimes Macy's web site has nice sales on it. 

Respected Contributor

I missed the show(s) she did, but I wish her well and hope she feels better soon.

Regarding the squash blossom necklaces, I cannot tell you how many times I have come close to purchasing one in Rhodonite, or how many times I have had one in my cart either here, or at her website. I, too, think that squash blossom necklaces are special and wonderful... 

And now for the big, BUT statement: ...but I am concerned that these special, glorious, statement-making showpiece necklaces, even with their less expensive, opaque stones, would make me stand out too much at a time of great current and future economic uncertainty, resulting in high inflation that will likely only worsen significantly. So many people are right now desperately struggling to pay food, energy, health insurance/medical treatment, and home mortgage bills, or home and/or car repair bills. I have become very conscious about what jewelry I wear, and when and where I wear it. I am very concerned about the increased prices for everything, too, and I am now making a concerted effort to purchase only what is necessary for my family. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last-minute notice, I know, but Carolyn is about to host an all-clearance American West Jewelry show on QVC2 (7-8 PM ET)—enjoy . . . or check items recently on air later! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I missed the show(s) she did, but I wish her well and hope she feels better soon.

Regarding the squash blossom necklaces, I cannot tell you how many times I have come close to purchasing one in Rhodonite, or how many times I have had one in my cart either here, or at her website. I, too, think that squash blossom necklaces are special and wonderful... 

And now for the big, BUT statement: ...but I am concerned that these special, glorious, statement-making showpiece necklaces, even with their less expensive, opaque stones, would make me stand out too much at a time of great current and future economic uncertainty, resulting in high inflation that will likely only worsen significantly. So many people are right now desperately struggling to pay food, energy, health insurance/medical treatment, and home mortgage bills, or home and/or car repair bills. I have become very conscious about what jewelry I wear, and when and where I wear it. I am very concerned about the increased prices for everything, too, and I am now making a concerted effort to purchase only what is necessary for my family. 

That's an excellent point and I agree. It doesn't seem like a comfortable time to wear stand-out jewelry. 

The rhodonite squash blossom necklace is exquisite! My fav is the orange spiny oyster and gosh I've also put it in my cart here and on AW's web site many times. But I can't justify it. I can see it stored with the knock-out necklaces I never wear, alas. 

Esteemed Contributor

Carolyn has two shows coming up tomorrow, 10/4. She shared the images below via email—I can't wait to get a better look at the reversible gemstone bracelets (and convince my bank account that one or two should join my collection):

Join Carolyn on QVC

Honored Contributor

That orange spiny is not as bright orange as you see on TV. I bought a bracelet and it's paler then I like. like a watered down orange.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE - I would guess the color depends on the batch of oysters. I have a cluster enhancer with stones that are all in a mid-range orange similar to some of the items in the image I shared, but when I tried to get matching earrings, the colors were nice but not the same intensity, even buying different styles a few months apart. I kept a pair anyway because the color was still lovely.

Respected Contributor

Watching the American West Jewelry show this morning and so disappointed that they choose to show the host waving her arms all over the place than showing closeups of the actual jewelry. I miss the old programming where they actually showed the jewelry. Watching a full view of a model wearing the jewelry shows the size but I want to see closeups. The owl pendant camera work was so bad that I couldn't even tell what it was. Please excuse the vent but actually showing the jewelry is what used to make me purchase jewelry at QVC.

Trusted Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

Carolyn has two shows coming up tomorrow, 10/4. She shared the images below via email—I can't wait to get a better look at the reversible gemstone bracelets (and convince my bank account that one or two should join my collection):

Join Carolyn on QVC

The picture of the wavy cuff bracelet it's shown with a ring in what looks like spiny oysterand turquoise. (Reminds Mr of her Utah bracelet from her carolyn pollock collection) , anyway, I've looked on qvc and her american west website, can't find it any ideas? Thankd

Esteemed Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Watching the American West Jewelry show this morning and so disappointed that they choose to show the host waving her arms all over the place than showing closeups of the actual jewelry. I miss the old programming where they actually showed the jewelry. Watching a full view of a model wearing the jewelry shows the size but I want to see closeups. The owl pendant camera work was so bad that I couldn't even tell what it was. Please excuse the vent but actually showing the jewelry is what used to make me purchase jewelry at QVC.

@Carolina925 - I thought the first show of the day was "not great" at best, but I admit that I find RG to be a perky but poor host; she never seems to be prepared and likes to talk over people constantly and loudly. However, I really enjoyed the second show with Ali Carr. I'm surprised you didn't like the owl pendant presentation because it was one where I specifically noticed how detailed they were being—the pendant was shown in closeups on the bust and on Ali, who even broke out the ruler, which is rarely done anymore.

But all that said, both shows today were a million times better than the train wreck show from last week. The host said she spoke to Carolyn about all the items beforehand, but she didn't know a thing and interrupted so much that I actually growled, "Stop it!" at my TV twice, as if that would work. I've never heard anyone pronounce "agate" as "uh-gaw-tay" or "mauve" as "moo-ahhv" (the latter happened three times, and each time, it took me a few extra seconds to realize what she was trying to say because it sort of sounded like she was trying to make up a new word). And to hear her tell it, turquoise is the most rare and precious of all the gemstones (probably because that was the only stone she recognized).

Anyway, on a happier note, the reversible pieces lived up to expectations. I wish they were more affordable; the price seems reasonable, but it's a LOT. We'll see!