Honored Contributor

Almost threw out a beautiful ring, that was just needing to be cleaned.

But diehard that I am, I thought, see if it's tarnish, or just ruined and you can still toss it, if so.  So I got out the Connisaire cleaner and went to town and wallah, rose gold band after all.  I'm so glad I gave it one more chance.  I got this ring at a sale when a woman passed away, and for so little.  I don't know if there's value.  There is to me though.

Just mentioned this, just in case someone else is in the same position.

Honored Contributor

Re: Almost threw out a beautiful ring, that was just needing to be cleaned.

In this case, the obvious solution was the best. Glad you didn't toss your ring.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygalFor so many years, I had the ugliest ring I ever saw that I'd found in tome of the aunt I'd ushered through the last 8 years of her life.  Finally one day in a cleaning frenzy I took it out of my junk box and to my favorite local jeweler who guessed it was actually gold melted down and reformed into the ring I was holding.  It was 14k for which he credited me $210 which I put toward an exquisite pair of earrings -- tri-color with tiny diamonds inset.  

So glad you "found" another wonderful piece of jewelry.  What fun was that!

Trusted Contributor

Would love to see a pic.Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My friend found a 4-ct diamond solitaire ring sparkling in the sand at the bottom of the ocean where she was scuba diving. She thought it was just a piece of glass and almost threw it away until she saw the gold band had '18K'  inscribed on it. She took it to a jeweler to have it examined for authenticity and discovered it was indeed a genuine diamond...a nearly 4-ct rock! I about fainted.

Honored Contributor

I bet the woman who lost that 4 ct ring about fainted, too.  My sister's husband lost his wedding ring on their honeymoon in Hawaii.  At least there were no stones involved.  

Honored Contributor

Hope the 4 ct gal had insurance. I'd be sick to death for sure

Super Contributor

I'm so glad you didn't throw your ring away. Most real jewelry will have a stamp inside of the band so always look for that. There are some real pieces that don't have the stamp because it's been worn so long it's rubbed off. Or, a ring can lose all or part of the stamp if they've had it resized.

Is it a completely plain band with no designs on it? If it has some kind of a design it would make it a lot easier to date.

I don't understand why people would take their real jewelry on vacations. How could the woman that lost the 4 ct ring not notice her ring wasn't on her finger? If you do lose something in the ocean you can hire divers to get it. I know I sure would have hired a diver if it were my ring. But, I would never wear my wedding set or anything else of real value on vacation. My Mom and daughter take a trip every year for my Mom's birthday. She has never taken any of her real jewelry so I've bought her Moissanite studs, a Diamonique wedding set and bracelet and one of Judith Ripka's CZ necklaces. Everything looks real and I know if my Mom were to lose a piece on vacation it wouldn't be a big deal.

Honored Contributor

I never understand why people feel compelled to “throw out” tarnished or damaged jewelry.

If a piece happens to be sterling silver or gold or even gold filled, you can always find someone who can use it, if only a local thrift shop or second hand store.

It always seems to me as though owners are personally offended by tarnish. Some very good silver doestarnish and some very good silver does not. It’s always possible to remove tarnish if someone wishes to do so.

CHEERS TO YOU, @qualitygal !!!!

Honored Contributor

@Remar wrote:

I'm so glad you didn't throw your ring away. Most real jewelry will have a stamp inside of the band so always look for that. There are some real pieces that don't have the stamp because it's been worn so long it's rubbed off. Or, a ring can lose all or part of the stamp if they've had it resized.

Is it a completely plain band with no designs on it? If it has some kind of a design it would make it a lot easier to date.

I don't understand why people would take their real jewelry on vacations. How could the woman that lost the 4 ct ring not notice her ring wasn't on her finger? If you do lose something in the ocean you can hire divers to get it. I know I sure would have hired a diver if it were my ring. But, I would never wear my wedding set or anything else of real value on vacation. My Mom and daughter take a trip every year for my Mom's birthday. She has never taken any of her real jewelry so I've bought her Moissanite studs, a Diamonique wedding set and bracelet and one of Judith Ripka's CZ necklaces. Everything looks real and I know if my Mom were to lose a piece on vacation it wouldn't be a big deal.

@Remar 

I've often wondered about how that 4 ct ring got to the bottom of the ocean. Maybe it was stolen then ditched or maybe the person who threw it into the ocean didn't want it back...who knows.  Just never know what could have gone through the person's mind at the time it went into the water. There could be a hundred different reasons how it got there. I would never wear my real jewels while travelling or on vacation either. Just my luck I'd lose it. 

Another friend of mine went on a camping trip and spent the time at a campsite that had an outhouse. In the middle of the night she got up to pee in the outhouse. Next morning she noticed her diamond bracelet was not on her wrist...seriously who wears that to go camping.Smiley Indifferent She realized that it might have fallen off in the outhouse...like down in the hole! She told her husband and both of them were freaking out. She told him if he didn't want to go and try and retrieve the bracelet then she would understand. omg She never got her bracelet back...wonder why LOL!Smiley LOL