Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Shanus  It is appraised. I used to have it at home and wore it frequently. With health problems, I've lost weight wearing the back brace (I guess that's why) and my rings (and clothes) no longer fit. Most of my expensive pieces are kept in the safe deposit box for safety. It also has lowered my insurance rates significantly! 

I have so many original paintings, antiques, china, sterling, etc. in my home (that cannot fit into a bank vault), that the jewelry was an easy insurance down-size! I have already placed some on consignment with EraGem in Seattle and most sold quickly. (Almost too quickly for my heart.) As soon as I'm ready to part with additional pieces, they will also be consigned. My DIL has taken a few diamond earrings which she wanted. Sadly, she's not interested in colored stones at all. <sigh> 

@BirkiLady   So sorry you’re having these health issues. Now I understand why the pieces are not being worn. Feel better. 🌸

Super Contributor

I wish I could own an Alexandrite, but I have to win the Lottery to own one. Alexandrite is extremely expensive. In the meantime I will try to get color change Garnet or color change Flourite.

Occasional Contributor

It may be a Zultanite which is also a color change stone. Alexandrite is never pink.

Both are fantastic. Alexandrite is my favorite.

Occasional Contributor

Get is appraised. If it is a real Russian Alexandrite you have a small fortune on your finger. Alexandrite is no longer mined in Russia and most is being mined in Brazil.

Occasional Contributor

I keep all my really expensive jewelry in our safety deposit box after our house was broken into and they stole my jewelry. Thankfully, most was insured. A true Russian Alexandrite is worth a lot of money. I have 2 rings that also have diamonds with the stones. Unless I know I'm going somewhere to wear them I will continue to keep them in my SDB. 

Occasional Contributor

These also a color change stone called Zultanite.

Honored Contributor

I ordered a genuine alex ring  from Evine, as my b-day is in June as is my son---but it was such a tiny size of stones ; there were alot of them --but it was hard to see the color change----I sent it back. Not a fan of the ornate 2 tone settings  that Michael does anyway and I guess I want a bigger stones with more presence---good luck with that, right !!!  Not a priority for me---I love all my pearls more !!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  Go to a reputable jeweler. Get to know him and his staff. In time, they will let you see their private collections OR buy stones for you to choose from. That's how many of my fine pieces were purchased. We then had our jeweler set them or design the setting for the stone(s). Never buy a piece of jewelry from TV or on-line. That merchandise is not quality you will find in a local (not a chain) jewelry store from a trained and licensed GIA jeweler. You'll learn so much in the process by asking questions. Remember, there is a huge mark-up on jewelry; you can always negotiate!  

My then finance' began working with our jeweler when he purchased my engagement diamond center stone and the 12 (four of each: 4, 6 & 8 ct.) side diamonds (individually to match) and had them set in a custom designed platinum setting. The jeweler knew he would be back. We didn't have a clue how often! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady---thanks for the info. But really and truely----buying anymore jewelry is not a thing for me anymore. How lucky for you that you have a guy that worked so hard on your ring----your ring sounds beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alexandrite

[ Edited ]

@wagirl  Thank you. That was over 50 years ago. We were married in March, 1969 and I've worn it every day since. Never considered an upgrade like so many do. And never put it away after my husband passed away. Don't know many men who spent so much time getting the perfect engagement before asking the big question! He must have been rather confident I was going to say "Yes"!! (I never asked what he would have done with the ring if I had turned him down.) 

ETA: My son and DIL still use the same family of jewelers! They have been in business for several generations (well over 125 years). Their talents are unique. My DIL has a gorgeous set of rings as well. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.