Trusted Contributor

Re: Alex & Ani Bangle - Beaded Bangle Issue

On 8/8/2014 ennui_too said:

Who are these A&A people and why is this jewelry suddenly a BIG DEAL? What is the appeal?

. I agree! I live in Rhode island and my jeweler doesn't get the hype over base metal jewelry!
Honored Contributor

On 8/8/2014 ennui_too said:

Who are these A&A people and why is this jewelry suddenly a BIG DEAL? What is the appeal?

It's the latest thing people are going for. I think you either like them or you don't. I personally don't care for the stuff.

Respected Contributor

I received a response from their customer service. Unfortunately, it was a generalized response that they send out to everyone because it never addressed the bead issue.

I'm calling them now...but I wanted to share the response that I got. Clearly, no one read my email. Shame, Shame on Alex & Ani! Janice Ruggieri, please do your job right!

Thank you for your email.

Rafaelian Silver and Rafaelian Gold will take on a more vintage look which is a natural process. If the anti-tarnishing coating is compromised by being introduced to elements such as water, pools, sea water, perfumes, lotions, antibacterial lotions, sunscreen, etc., it may oxidize more quickly.

Please try our care instructions listed below to see if it helps remove any of the markings on your jewelry.

Please store each piece separately, especially our expandable necklaces. The best way to store your necklaces is to hang them.

• Apply beauty products such as perfume, hairspray or deodorant before wearing your jewelry as certain chemicals in these products may damage the finish.

• Always remove your jewelry before swimming, bathing, doing household chores or using abrasive cleaners.

• If your jewelry requires further cleaning, use a mild soap, water and a soft cloth. Rinse with clean water and pat dry. Never use jewelry cleaner on Trend pieces. Jewelry cleaners are too harsh and may contain abrasives. We recommend using a polishing cloth for Precious pieces.

• Use a soft toothbrush to clean crystals if necessary.

• Make sure your jewelry is completely dry before storing.

• To avoid black markings either on your skin or the bangles, be sure to clean your bangles regularly. These markings are due to trapped oil and dirt in the metal and can be easily cleaned.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or you may contact Customer Service at 1-800-725-7822.

Thank you for contacting Alex and Ani. We appreciate your business!

With Positive (+) Intent,

Janice Ruggieri

Customer Service Representative

Honored Contributor

These are fun pieces of costume jewelry made with base metal - but made in the USA.

They never pretend to be something they are not.

I have a LOT...mostly collected on vacations and given as gifts.

My friends and I love to exchange bangles for all kinds of reasons.

When I decide which ones to wear each day, I think of my dear friends and great times we have shared.

I wouldn't analyze them too closely...

Respected Contributor

On 8/8/2014 terrier3 said:

These are fun pieces of costume jewelry made with base metal - but made in the USA.

They never pretend to be something they are not.

I have a LOT...mostly collected on vacations and given as gifts.

My friends and I love to exchange bangles for all kinds of reasons.

When I decide which ones to wear each day, I think of my dear friends and great times we have shared.

I would analyze them too closely...

I'm assuming you meant "wouldn't".
First off, contrary to your opinion, I don't sit and examine the bangles. But when I looked down at my hand, it was very clear that the color was off on each bead in various places and it was very obvious. There is a coating on the beads and this is what came off. And yes, at first I thought maybe there is something on the beads but there wasn't.

Honored Contributor

I just broke up my gold set and gave one to a friend who is beginning chemo, as a talisman representing her recovery. I have received one from each of two dear family members. I have a lot of jewelry (just ask DH!) but they do represent something different for me. I really like mine.
Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Have6cats said:

I do!...I do!..With the naked eye, the (glass) beads look like neon apatite. However, when you use a loupe, it is easy to see areas that look like greyish residue. It appears that this is IN the glass and not on the exterior..I don't know what it is. It's hard to notice it w/o a loupe. Still love the bracelets.

I just looked at my blue beaded bangle in the sun. If I separate the beads and look at the sides, two of them have grayish residue that, yep, is inside the glass.

The gray sections are only where the beads abut one another...so it's not noticeable.

I love my bracelets too!

Perhaps the OP had the residue on visible areas of the beads.

Sorry, OP, I didn't mean any harm. It's just that these bangles are fun to me and some posters are treating them as if they are fine jewelry...and I never had a visible issue with any of them.

Respected Contributor

I am happy to report that Alex & Ani are sending out a new bangle and I will return the defective one.

When I called A&A, I spoke to a customer service rep, Linda who told me to contact QVC about the problem. I explained that QVC customer service is just going to tell me to return the item. Linda wasn't very knowledgeable about the bangles and how they sold out and that QVC could not replace them. Linda put me on hold and spoke to her supervisor which resulted in no resolution. I asked to speak with the supervisor and Linda didn't want to transfer me. I told Linda that I was very disappointed in the way Alex & Ani handled their customer service since my only purpose in purchasing these bangles were to lift my spirits. I shared a brief story of my breast cancer and ........................

Linda put me on hold for about 5 minutes and Deborah, her supervisor came on the phone. I told her the name of the bangle and she is sending out a replacement to make a long story short. Did my bc story cause them to have sympathy for me and take the correct measure. Apparently so, although, I should never have needed to share this with them.

Is the customer service impressive? No. If I do decide to purchase any more bangles, I would prefer to use Zappos or Zeeberry's since they appear to stand behind the products they sell and they could supply me with a replacement. They can deal with A&A.

Have a great day!

Respected Contributor

On 8/8/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/7/2014 Have6cats said:

I do!...I do!..With the naked eye, the (glass) beads look like neon apatite. However, when you use a loupe, it is easy to see areas that look like greyish residue. It appears that this is IN the glass and not on the exterior..I don't know what it is. It's hard to notice it w/o a loupe. Still love the bracelets.

I just looked at my blue beaded bangle in the sun. If I separate the beads and look at the sides, two of them have grayish residue that, yep, is inside the glass.

The gray sections are only where the beads abut one another...so it's not noticeable.

I love my bracelets too!

Perhaps the OP had the residue on visible areas of the beads.

Sorry, OP, I didn't mean any harm. It's just that these bangles are fun to me and some posters are treating them as if they are fine jewelry...and I never had a visible issue with any of them.

Yes, it is where the beads butt up against one another but also on other areas.

I will see if the new one has the same issue as I didn't notice this issue when I first wore the bangle. It appears as if the color is coming off the exterior of the beads and if that is the case, it won't be an aqua beaded bangle anymore.

Thanks for your input

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/8/2014 DogLvr said:

I am happy to report that Alex & Ani are sending out a new bangle and I will return the defective one.

When I called A&A, I spoke to a customer service rep, Linda who told me to contact QVC about the problem. I explained that QVC customer service is just going to tell me to return the item. Linda wasn't very knowledgeable about the bangles and how they sold out and that QVC could not replace them. Linda put me on hold and spoke to her supervisor which resulted in no resolution. I asked to speak with the supervisor and Linda didn't want to transfer me. I told Linda that I was very disappointed in the way Alex & Ani handled their customer service since my only purpose in purchasing these bangles were to lift my spirits. I shared a brief story of my breast cancer and ........................

Linda put me on hold for about 5 minutes and Deborah, her supervisor came on the phone. I told her the name of the bangle and she is sending out a replacement to make a long story short. Did my bc story cause them to have sympathy for me and take the correct measure. Apparently so, although, I should never have needed to share this with them.

Is the customer service impressive? No. If I do decide to purchase any more bangles, I would prefer to use Zappos or Zeeberry's since they appear to stand behind the products they sell and they could supply me with a replacement. They can deal with A&A.

Have a great day!

It's terrible to go through a cs issue like this to exchange a fashion jewelry item! Amazon prime sells them too.

I love the idea of an expandable bangle, but I'll get stainless (preferred!) or sterling instead.