Valued Contributor

Affinity...tested as moissanite

Over many years of buying jewelry from QVC I decided to auction several sterling and gold pieces recently.  Four of the sterling rings from the affinity line tested as moissanite! Now I wonder if the testing was flawed or if affinity was not always diamonds.  Getting difficult to know who to believe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Affinity...tested as moissanite

What is moissanite?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if they used only a diamond tester? If they did then that can show the stones to be either one. What needs to be done is have the stones tested using a Moissanite tester to differentiate the stones. Diamond testers can't tell the difference between the two types of stone.

I would take the jewelry to a reputable jeweler and have them test it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder if they used only a diamond tester? If they did then that can show the stones to be either one. What needs to be done is have the stones tested using a Moissanite tester to differentiate the stones. Diamond testers can't tell the difference between the two types of stone.

I would take the jewelry to a reputable jeweler and have them test it.

agree

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gabidog   I agree with the other posters.  I used to work for a high end jewelry store and we had testers for different stones.  Don't just accept this outcome without checking somewhere else.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish my Affinity diamonds sparkled like my moissanite!  Mine are dull.

Esteemed Contributor

I never cared for the quality of the Affinity diamonds so, I never bought any ....🧐

Regular Contributor

@auntyg Moissanite scores 9.25 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness. Sparkle wise, Moissanite has an even higher refractive index than diamonds, so it's even sparklier than a diamond. But it has more of a rainbow sparkle, whereas diamonds has both white and rainbow. Moissanite can also resist heat just as well as diamonds.
Regular Contributor

@Gabidog Can't they be sued for false advertising??? The Q swears by their authenticity of gem stones always! Makes me wonder about other gems they are selling too!
Honored Contributor

@catnappurr wrote:
@GabidogCan't they be sued for false advertising??? The Q swears by their authenticity of gem stones always! Makes me wonder about other gems they are selling too!

@catnappurr  - That's making quite a leap, considering none of us know what test was done and what the actual stones are.

How do you immediately decide to sue, when you have no facts to go on?  I don't have any issue with the jewelry I've bought from QVC over the years.  In fact, I had quite a lot valued once for insurance purposes and the values were even higher than I'd expected.  The valuation was done by a reputable expert.