Honored Contributor

Re: Affinity...tested as moissanite

Take to someone who knows that they are doing.  I read somewhere that if they use the thermal method, a Moissanite stone will test as a diamond because they both conduct heat the same.  There is Moissanite detector. Generally, they will  test a stone and it will test as diamond OR Moissanite.  Then they test the stone for Moissanite.  If it tests as Moissanite...that's what it is.  I don't know who tested it for you but it sounds like they are incompetent.  

Regular Contributor

@Venezia I was making a hypothetical statement. It happened to JTV.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I had a letter from JTV years ago that stated some of the amethyst rings that went out were not real.  No, they couldn't tell me which mine was.  Since I liked the ring anyway I didn't bother to send it back.  No wonder the stone looked so clear.  QVC has a few flaws, but selling mis-labeled stones is not one of them, IMHO.  

Honored Contributor

Do jewelers not loop diamonds to determine if a diamond is real or not? I know my jeweler didn't believe my Diamonique was fake and looked at it through a loop and said,"yep, it's fake".

Honored Contributor

A long time ago when gold was a lot cheaper, I bought a pair of fake ruby studs, as in glass stud earrings. The settings were in gold and they were so beautifully done until one day a stone got loose and fell out so I took it to a jeweler to have it repaired. Much to my surprise my jeweler told me that the 'fake ruby' was a created ruby, not glass or cz. So that goes to show that the people who sell you jewelry don't always know what they are selling to you. 

Super Contributor

Zhills. Your diamond pieces might only need a good cleaning. I use a soft tooth brush and a mild dishwashing soap to clean my diamond pieces. They can start to lose thier sparkle if they haven't been cleaned, you use hand lotion and from soap build up from washing your hands. Give it a try and you'll probably see your pieces sparkle like they did when you first bought them.

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

Over many years of buying jewelry from QVC I decided to auction several sterling and gold pieces recently.  Four of the sterling rings from the affinity line tested as moissanite! Now I wonder if the testing was flawed or if affinity was not always diamonds.  Getting difficult to know who to believe.

And moissanite will sometimes test as diamonds.  The tester itself is the issue.  You have to use a diamond tester on diamonds and a moissanite tester on moissanite.

Valued Contributor

When I questioned the auctioneer she said a diamond tester was used twice and it tested as moissanite.  Whatever they were I no longer own them.

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog  - This information might explain it.  I really don't believe QVC sold moissanite as diamonds.  I hope you didn't lose on the value because of what the tester told you.

MOISSANITE TESTERS AND TYPE II DIAMONDS
Moissanite testers work by measuring electrical conductivity through the stone*. Diamond is not electrically conductive, Moissanite is. However, there is a very rare type of diamond which has an unusual atomic structure (it does not contain nitrogen, it does contain boron) and this makes the diamond electrically conductive, i.e. it will register 'Moissanite' on a diamond tester.

Unless you are a diamond dealer handling diamonds every day, it's unlikely that you will ever see one of these. But, rare as these diamonds are, they are turning up at gem laboratories, sent in by anxious retailers following complaints by their customers who discover that their diamond registers 'Moissanite' on a Moissanite tester.

Incidentally, TYPE II diamonds are 'rare' by an accident of nature, due to their atomic structure, they are not 'rare' in the sense of being more valuable than 'ordinary' diamonds, they are exactly the same. In fact, logic dictates that it would be more difficult to sell a diamond that registers 'Moissanite' on a tester!