Contributor

Affinity diamonds: no documentation? UPDATE!

[ Edited ]

I purchased an Affinity tennis bracelet which I love, but i was surprised to find out when I opened the package that there is no documentation at all in there regarding the color, cut, etc...The receipt doesn't even state the price I paid!  I called my insurance agent who told me it would have to be appraised (which I'll have to pay for) as he needs the details of this specific bracelet.  While the vendor states that all of these are VS2, etc..he needs to know the exact color, cut, size, etc.  I'm a bit disappointed and wondering if I should just sent it back and buy in a regular store, where I may pay more but I'll get more info.  Even Amazon, on my quarter carat studs, have a card that told me the specifics of my earrings.  Ugh, it makes me suspicious now

So, had the bracelet appraised and so happy to say that the appraiser said it was worth $5995 (I paid $3K) and it was "beautiful qaulity" and that I was lucky to find it.  He verified the color and carat weight, and said the cut was excellent.  He liked the safety clasp and said it was a mark of good workmanship, and said while I could find something for a similar price on the market place, it would be difficult.  I am relieved and happy, as this is a once in a lifetime purchase for me. Im glad to know I got what I paid for and happy to say I am keeping it! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Affinity diamonds: no documentation?

[ Edited ]

If this is the gorgeous bracelet that I think it is, I believe there "should have been" paperwork included to tell you everything you should know about it.  At least when I watched the presentation, I was led to believe a hardcopy would be included.  I'd call CS and ask about it.  Personally, I don't know many people who would pay that amount without all pertinent info written down and included.  I'd consider the paperwork part of the sale, without which I would have to return..... Woman Sad

I believe you only have 30 days to return.  Good luck.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I hope that you call qvc to inform them. Maybe someone didn’t put the paperwork in with your purchase by mistake.

Honored Contributor

I believe this has been a complaint with many of the pricier Affinity pieces.  I don't know why they are so hesitant to supply this information.  To me it indicates something is not quite right.

Esteemed Contributor

It's been my impression that Affinity is a...... B minus or.... C plus outfit.  I would not consider investing big bucks for their products.  Just my impression.

Honored Contributor

@MarypcI'm not suspicious about what the Affinity is worth, but I don't understand why you didn't get a cost on the receipt -  unless you had it sent to an address other than the one you have listed with QVC as both  your mailing and billing address,  I know from experience you don't get all the data if they are different.

But I also want to say your post made me curious enough to Google and read about insuring diamonds.  I did know that the only diamond I ever wanted to insure was my solitaire.  That's also the only VS1 stone I know for sure I owned and I did have documentatation for that.  That came from the 1970's, so if I still had it and still was insuring it, I would have spent way more than the darned thing was worth even though it was a VS1.

What did learn when I Googled was that most companies don't ask for full documentation for items costing less than $5000  (Note that I have no idea what Affinity asked for your bracelet)  but they do want proof of payment so you would definitely need a receipt with numbers.  Either QVC or Affinity owes you that in my opinion.

Contributor

Nope, not sent to any other address, it came right to my home (left on my doorstep, actually!) I called two insurance places and they both said I needed an independent appraisal to get replacement value on the bracelet. Customer service just answered me on chat, and said they dont send this info.  Guess Im returning!

Contributor

Its a lovely tennis bracelet that was on clearance.  Im afraid Customers Service just confirmed to me that the do not supply certification. It's going back. That is too much money for me to just trust that the stones are what they say they are, and frankly I'm disappointed in QVC with this.  It should not be a problem to include certification, and I have to wonder if something in the milk aint clean.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marypc  BUMMER. So sorry this disappointment happened.

However, from what I've seen of Affinity's grading, you probably overpaid for that bracelet. Return it and take your money to a local jeweler. Check out what is available and watch for the sales! Keep returning and eyeing the bracelet you adore. The jeweler will know you are serious. When it's on sale, go in and negiotate with the owner of the store for an even better price by paying with a check! There is a huge mark-up on jewelry.

Plus, you'll be able to look at the stones with a loop and a microscope while you are looking for the perfect piece. A good jeweler will teach you about the world of diamonds and what to look for when purchasing. In a bracelet, you don't need the best stones in the world but you do want well cut and clean stones for maximum brillance.

Remember to ask for an appraisal during the negiotiation phase!  Best wishes.

PS: If it is a tennis bracelet, I always have my jeweler add a box chain, clasp and o-ring for safety. Sometimes the closures on those bracelets become loose; then catch on clothing, office/kitchen drawers, etc. and break apart. Suddenly, the bracelet is lost. It's worth the extra expense to me for security of my expensive bracelets to have the safety chains added it they do not come with one attached. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Q never gives details on the website or on air.  I want to know cut, color, clarity, and mm size. If it's not online, I don't buy.