Trusted Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Those sound like the real gold and diamond earrings JR was offering--NOT diamonique.

Check underneath for the 14 K stamp.

A store mistake should not be an excuse for customer theft.

Someone who specifically ordered those earrings may have received your earrings instead and is out hundreds of dollars!

Perhaps QVC can trace the error and then bill you for the difference if you choose to keep the earrings.

Sorry to say you sound like you are bragging and most of the responses are against that type of dishonest action.

Theft unfortunately means increases in prices for everybody.

@FancyPhillyshopper  I agree with you.  I hope the mods read this post and investigate.  I looked up the London blue topaz earrings and the ones I'm finding were in the hundreds of dollars.  I believe there is a huge price difference between those and "as is" diamonique earrings.  Wow.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I would be boasting about it. Hopefully the OP does the right thing.

Honored Contributor

Re: AS IS "SURPRISE"

[ Edited ]

News Flash.  If you are shipped something in error you are legally not obligated to return it.   Period.  It is up to you what you do with the item, but no one will come after you or bill you.  This law was enacted to keep people from randomly shipping out multiple whatever and expecting to get paid.  Just think of what could happen in this day of internet scams.  Yes, there are errors in QVC's warehouse, I suspect due more to mis-read bar codes than anything else.  I don't think they have an abundance of dishonest employees.  We customers out here?  That might be a different matter.  I often suspect cheap items are returned in a plastic bag with an expensive barcode.  Then that cheap item gets shipped to the next customer.  Some of it might be totally unintentional, you send back a pair of jeans and accidentally grab the sweater bag for the item you tried on at the same time.

Respected Contributor

I would totally keep the earring but I would not tell anyone about it - especially not here!  I've received duplicates of a few things over the years due to annoying shipping problems.  The first one I gave back, honest Abe style. The second and third ones I kept and shared the items with a friend.  I once received someone else's clothes from Loft.  My address but their clothes and invoice inside.  I took it to the store and they acted confused and like they wanted nothing to do with it.  I once ordered gloves from Amazon. Instead I received a small stuffed cat that made snoring noises when you pressed on it.  These mix ups happen sometimes and I think it's crazy some of y'all act like the OP went into a store and stole a diamond necklace!  Jeez. 

Honored Contributor

LOL, the OP hasn't been back.

Legally, she is under no obligation to return the earrings. My conscience would win out, though, and I wouldn't be able to wear the "mistake" and I would return them. Every time I put them on, I would feel uncomfortable but then again that is just me...

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

LOL, the OP hasn't been back.

Legally, she is under no obligation to return the earrings. My conscience would win out, though, and I wouldn't be able to wear the "mistake" and I would return them. Every time I put them on, I would feel uncomfortable but then again that is just me...

I agree. There is legal and there is ethical. If she called to report the mistake and is told to keep the earrings that is fine, but to simply keep them and gloat about it on the vendor message board is not right. 

Respected Contributor

Re: AS IS "SURPRISE"

[ Edited ]

She's "under no obligation" to return it? 🤔Think again.

Consumers are playing fast and loose with the FTC law which, in fact, was meant to address UNSOLICITED merchandise. Yeah, we all know what that is: calendars, labels, pencils, notebooks, etc. sent, usually, by non-profits.

A provider's MISTAKE is something else, again. There is NO WAY that this could be seen as anything other than "unjust enrichment." And THAT is against the law.

Consider the case of the Amazon buyer who purchased a 74" TV, which he received--along with an 86" TV--which police found mounted on this wall when they arrived to arrest him.

The OP not only didn't receive what she paid for, but she received an entirely different item which she DIDN'T pay for, and which she ACKNOWLEDGES is worh more. (Hence, the great "deal.")

Was she unjustly enriched? You bet. Does she legally have to return it? You bet.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Flaunting dishonesty--sadly it seems to be considered okay by people. I think it is shameful. 

Contributor
Something similar happened to me about ten years ago. We received a ten karat diamond in the mail from one of those gem shows on TV. it had another persons name on it, but our address. My husband called the channel and told
Them because we were going to return it. They refused to let us return it, said it was their fault and it would mess up their inventory. Had it made into a nice ten year anniversary ring!
Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio, you did the right thing, honesty is the best policy.