Trusted Contributor

Re: ANY MOISSANITE PURCHASERS?

Since I'm not a diamond enthusiast, I wouldn't buy moissanite, either, although it looks pretty enough. Didn't look at any of the pieces.

@SilleeMee I took your advice and bought a pair of strontium titanate earrings from JTV--3+ carats, marquis cut in white gold.  Drop dead gorgeous!  I've never seen anything sparkle quite them.  Thanks for the tip!  I might have to get a pendant to go with them.  Really remarkable stone.

Honored Contributor

@nova wrote:

@Shanus   Many years ago I bought a 1 ctw pair of moissanite studs in white gold and they look like diamonds in my opinion.  They really sparkle.   If anyone bought a piece from the show I hope you love it!

I have a small 5 stone moissanite band that I purchased from JTV a couple years ago in platinum over sterlling..  This ring flashes.  It looks as pretty as it did the day I received it. I hope anyone who purchased a piece will enjoy theirs  as much as I enjoy mine.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

They announced at the beginning of the show that the stones were a customer request. I thought the prices were high...although they WERE set in 14kt.

Anyone swept away?

I am a huge fan of moissanite.  I'd rather have it than diamonds.  I don't have a lot but I do have a few 14k pieces, some going back 15 years.  It sparkles and shines better than most diamonds.  I especially love earrings since they light up my face.

Some say moissanite has a yellowish or greenish tint.  None of mine do.  I do think the cheapest level might be more susceptible to it though the original is now the cheapest level and mine is not at all tinted.  

Respected Contributor

I have a pair of 2.5 (ish) total weight Moissanite studs, set in 14k yellow gold that I purchased from JTV when they were 50% off. They are my absolute favorite, go-to, every day earrings. My idea was to wear them as travel jewelry while keeping my diamonds safely locked up, but they very quickly became one of my favorite pieces. 

I also have a beautiful strontium titanate halo pendant that I purchased with the same travel jewelry idea. I don't wear it nearly as much as the earrings, but it also appears quite often in my wardrobe. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

For anyone really interested in making a purchase Evine has a 14karat White Gold 1ctw pair of studs offered for $199 as part of their web top values.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I own real diamond studs as well as Moissanite, Diamonique and strontium titanate studs. When I look at all four pairs, set side-by-side in my jewelry box, there is no mistaking which ones are Moissanite. The only other gem that even comes close is strontium titanate which sparkles with more rainbows than Moissanite, but very close in appearance and cost much less. However, ST is a much less durable stone than Moissanite so I wouldn't choose it for a ring or bracelet. Moissanite is the way to go if you want sparkle and durability in a stone that would cost much more if it were a real diamond of the same quality. Bottom line...Diamonique is in the dust for sparkle factor when you compare it with Moissanite.

I bought the stud earrings. I had to! I don't really think that Diamonique fools anyone into thinking that its a diamond. Something about it doesn't look real. I've always wanted Moissanite earrings - and bought the cushion cut studs. 

Honored Contributor

I would ONLY buy Moissanite if it was set in a heavy gold setting.  Otherwise, I would never may the prices they charge for Moissanite, which is just another lab created diamond substitute. 

Contributor

I have a beautiful wedding set that is Moissanite.  I've had it for approx. 3 years, and it is beautiful.  Stone is very sparkly, but I feel it was very overpriced ... it was purchased directly from C&C.  I fell in love with the setting ... to me Moissanite is very beautiful, but I don't feel it is worth the price difference from regular CZs.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I would ONLY buy Moissanite if it was set in a heavy gold setting.  Otherwise, I would never may the prices they charge for Moissanite, which is just another lab created diamond substitute. 

Yup! I found that out yesterday when my earrings arrived. Ugh - nope, they are gong back. I agree - lab created and $$. 

Valued Contributor

I need some help here.  I thought Moissanite was a natural occuring stone when cut and polished it looks like a diamond, with almost the same hardness.  I thought Moissanie Fire was man-made Moissanite.  My niece bought an expensive Charles Winston Moissanite Fire from JTV in platinum clad.  It was a big, dull, cheap-looking stone in a cheap setting.  I've seen Moissanite in real gold settings that were gorgeous but very expensive, a 3 carat round in gold was around $2500.  Personally, I have never had any luck with JTV.  I do have some very old Diamonique and Absolute rings set in real gold that still look great after 20+ years.