Trusted Contributor

Re: ANTONELLA is going to be the HOST to go to ITALY!!

How wonderful that Antonella is getting the opportunity to host the jewelry shows from Italy. If the venues remain the same, then she is likely to temper her "round the way girl" act and become more sedate. If not, then she is remaining true to her personality or television persona.

I agree with sidsmom and Anonymous 2012; there is an underlying nativism the comments about at true Italian. You should not apologize. These comments about true Italian are comments that can morph into the kind of racial and ethnic prejudice that the USA and the rest of the world have struggled to eradicate. No, that is not being politically correct. Those with power and privilege or even not, sometimes try to silence dissident voices. The attempted silencing/ censoring of ideas, especially about race or what may or may not offend are difficult conversations on these boards specifically and society-wide generally. Sandra Bennett probably did not intend to ridicule or poke fun at the model Michelle's hair. The cameraman or woman panning to Michelle while the comment was made touched a historic nerve/point of pain for many women of African descent and probably a few Jewish, and gasp, Italian women with similarly textured hair. Unless you have experienced directly or vicariously the various ways in which Black women's physical characteristics are and have been denigrated for centuries, then such concerns will always be "stirring the pot," political correctness, or "much to do about nothing." No, we don't have to get over it as long as the actions, laws, customs, etc., relegate us to subordinate status. You have to understand that your lived reality is not shared by everyone.

Imagine if Jayne Brown, Leah Williams, or Gabriel Kerr cracked on the obvious bottle blonde hair color sported by Mary Beth (heavens no!), Shawn Killinger, Jennifer Coffey, or the others? Would they be excoriated for being offensive to White women? Or suppose someone started a discussion about the fact that most of the African American women hosts do not show jewelry on these special days with the exceptions being Gabriel for the encore show and Rachel Boesing (although she is biracial) for today's silver designer gallery, what would be the reactions. Would I offend if I wrote, let a true woman of African descent show the jewelry so that we can see what it looks like on a different skin color? Yes, I know that the various models are different racially and ethnically.

Suppose Antonella wasn't a host, would it be necessary to hire a "true Italian" to host? Why not state that Antonella's ethnic, cultural, and linguistic heritages may provide insights that those not a part of the culture may not possess?

However, it is possible, as Lisa Robertson often demonstrated, to study a region of a country and acquire knowledge about its art, architecture, traditions, history, and so forth. Lisa excelled in these areas, especially when discussing art, architecture, and mythology. Perhaps Antonella will continue to educate the viewer in this fashion or not. She may decide upon an entirely different approach. I hope that she is successful. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 kivah said:

What would make the jewelry shows from Italy more authentic - is to sell 18KT gold - not 14KT. 14KT is not sold in Italy. Also, they need to lower their prices - gold has gone way down in the last year.

You also have to keep in mind what most Americans will buy .... they are accustomed to the color of 14K gold.

Frankly, I think 18k gold looks too brassy and cheap, and I have no interest ...... QVC will offer what their customers will buy. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 BlingQueen022 said:

I don't care who hosts it. Bozo could be the host for all I care. I look at the merchandise being offered. I'm not obsessed with any show host. If I like what's being shown then I'll buy it. I don't buy anything from a shopping channel because a certain host is selling it. It's the merchandise being presented!

Now Bling, Bozo will not be hosting... Rick will be staying home and Antonella is going...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think she'll do a fine job.
Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 BlingQueen022 said:

I feel very sorry for Antonella hosting these shows in Italy. She'll have so many posters cutting down her makeup, her hair, her nails, her gown and how she presents, and anything else they can possibly think of to degrade her. It's not just her, it would be any host they sent.

I don't know Bling... I think all that might well have been reserved for the one that wisely flew the coop and won't be going...

Wink

Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 millieshops said:

Should work for her followers. Sad to say, for me, I have become less and less enamored of Antonella in the last year. I doubt I'll be "going to Italy" with her.

I like her a lot and think she gives a very thorough jewelry presentation. She seems like a lovely, down to earth person. I do think the giddiness, gushing and cackling can get to be a bit much so, for me, a little of her goes a long way. I doubt I'll be going to Italy with her either this time around, but that speaks at least as much to the jewelry they've been presenting during the Italy shows in recent years as it does with the host.

Respected Contributor

that's nice for antonella, i enjoy her presentations. i do think however that there isn't a real need to do the live remotes. qvc could pass the savings to the customers

Esteemed Contributor

So happy for Antonella. Just sounds right! She'll do well. I don't think the trip to Italy is about Antonella v Lisa. Antonella wouldn't want that.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

On 2/1/2015 sidsmom said:

It would be refreshing to see the items with everyday wear instead of the ball gown.

I envision filming during the daytime 'out in the square' with models in casual wear...slacks, cotton blouse, boots...shopping or at the bistro sipping on lattes chatting w/ their friends.

I know the time difference wouldn't work (live filming is early morning Italy time), but an "180" is needed for AN to make it her own.

I agree!

Don't get me wrong, I love the fancy ballgowns and all. It's beautiful and elegant.

But I think seeing models in chic casual wear, or at a bistro, etc would be more relatable to customer (or at least me). They could even show the model being in the market shopping. I know Italy has those outdoor "flea market" kind of things (as I have spent a week it Italy so I know). They could still keep it European but more casual and chic.

Super Contributor

A few thoughts. For reference, I am of 100% Italian descent and speak the language fluently: 1) I think QVC does these shows as something special for the viewers. And they would be special if the quality of jewelry was closer to the "Arte D'Argento/D'Oro" lines of years past. 2) I doubt QVC incurs any loss from these shows. They have an Italian channel...use local production people. I'm sure they make a fortune off of the higher-priced jewelry. 3) Neither Lisa or Antonella speak fluent Italian. Antonella has obviously had more exposure to the language - that's obvious by the phrases she occasionally uses and the details about her parents. 4) Antonella clearly loves jewelry and Italian things. It's not racist to have someone whose spent their life immersed in a culture to take on an assignment like this. She's clearly qualified on many fronts. Just like it wasn't racist when they sent Sandra to China after she spent a fair amount of time studying the culture because of her daughter. Antonella seems like a kind and fun person. She really loves jewelry. I think she's a great choice, but we should give her a chance before criticizing her.