Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER disappointing gem day

I knew and expected that Gem Day would be what it was-----and also knew that I would not be buying anything. If you think that prices would be the same as years past, you are in a dream world. I liked the 24 hours of one hour shows of one gem. And few gems that don't get much air play as well. I's 2015 not 1995 when you could fill up your cart and still stay under $100. I enjoyed what I saw. Lovely stones. My bank account is still intact!!!

Honored Contributor

Years ago I had a friend that worked at a local chain jewelry store. He said their markup was 75% of retail. In other words, a thousand dollar piece cost them $250.00, giving them plenty of room for promotions. It appears now that QVC's markup is more near 90%, meaning 10 times cost. Most discouraging. My gemstone business has gone elsewhere, several elsewheres, but I did relent and order the Ecclissi watch. I really do need a gold watch and I've been more than happy with Ecclissi in the past.

Regular Contributor

Yes...very disappointed. I can see if they sold a few very expensive pieces throughout the day....but, I can't believe how many they were actually trying to sell. I wonder why they went this way?!!!! Especially after Christmas when people are broke. I guess they don't have to pay as many workers to stock and ship the few very expensive pieces they sell as they do the many more less expensive pieces that would be sold. They probably still come out ahead selling a few very expensive pieces than a bunch of inexpensive items.