Respected Contributor

Re: ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE ON THE HIGH PRICES

I agree. I have more than enough jewelry, in general, and I should be satisfied with the amount of JR that I have. With the prices so high, I find it much easier to resist. There are some pieces that I am sad that I cannot afford though. Those beautiful gold clad and pearl pieces from the last visit keep calling my name and I just cannot afford them at this point and, if I could, I am thinking I might prefer to buy a nice piece of solid gold.

I used to be shocked every visit by what I perceive as an extreme markup, but I guess that is the way things are going. Judith's more well-off clientele will be able to afford her pieces and rest of us are being priced out of the market. I am grateful I was able to buy what I did buy in the past.

Regular Contributor

I agree with what you all have said. I still love to watch the Judith shows - her designs are exquisite in my opinion. I too, do not feel that urge that I have to have an item. I have so many beautiful pieces that I am lucky and happy to have. If there is something that I can afford and I really love it, then I will buy it. I think she creates jewelry for all budgets if you like the brand.

With that said, I have read so many negative comments on other threads but I am delighted that fans of Judith are not feeding into the negativity and just ignoring some of the cruel remarks! Way to go Ripkanistas! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I agree with tk1234. They are trying to replace lost sales by shifting those products to QVC. Or at least the prices, I have no knowledge of products outside of QVC. Will those customers follow? Will her old QVC customers stand for this? Stay tuned.

Contributor

While I have a few pieces that date back over the last 8 years, my collection has grown largely in the last 2-3 years. Unlike many of you that talk of the old days and lovely pieces, I was a poor college student in grad school and jewelry was not on my radar. While I do buy, as I am building my original collection, I just think her designs are lovely. I am not edgy, sophisticated...., I just like to look down at my wrist or finger and see something really pretty that I enjoy owning and feel that all my years of hard work and study are paying off. As I now have choices in various colors, my purchasing has become very selective and I try to find the basics, i have never owned pearls, station chains or a band ring until this past year. I am very grateful to Godfreako for her advanced postings that lets me look at the offerings and get over the 'impulse' buy that would be my downfall. I used to buy not knowing what was next and afraid to miss out. Now I can shop selectively and carefully, figure out what I like and what I am willing to pay in advance. This is my first splurge of the year, after the pearl tsv and surprisingly, my favorites are not the most expensive this time around. I purchased the braided amethyst cuff, ring and the braided hoop earrings. I will of course be watching the shows, but only occasionally to lessen the impulse urge. I will not complain about the price because the use I get out of them on a regular basis for me is worth it. I am glad Ms Ripka brought her designs to qvc and I will soon be a window or occasional shopper, as I have a lovely collection that is large enough with options but not too large that I forget what I own or have. I hope her selling continues on qvc. I think there will be another group of ladies that love her aesthetic and want to purchase her pieces and I hope she will continue to bring beautiful pieces that they can own.
Occasional Contributor

Judith Ripka jewelry is not for everyone in the same sense that not everyone can afford couture designs offered by Gucci, Chanel, Versace and Cartier and many people who can afford to buy these designers also shop QVC, why not?

Judith Ripka is a real couture jewelry designer. Just because she has a QVC collection does not mean she should offer her jewelry designs at bargain basement prices. The QVC collection is no different than her couture collection in terms of design aesthetic and design quality. You are paying designer prices for her Jewelry on QVC no different than you would pay for designer merchandise if you shopped at Saks or Neimann. Not everyone can afford to shop at Saks & Neimann or Judith Ripka Madison Avenue stores or Judith Ripka QVC collection. Having said that, I wish people would stop bashing the price of Judith Ripka's QVC collection. If you dont' want to buy her jewelry due to the price or for whatever your reasons are, don't buy it, there are hundreds of thousands of people who can afford to buy Judith Ripka no matter the price. Stop complaining about the price. QVC customers are not low income buyers always looking for a bargain basement price, there are hundreds of thousands of QVC shoppers who can afford designer merchandise. I cannot afford to buy everything she offers but I am a huge fan and a big collector, most of her jewelry is very affordable thanks to the QVC collection, I love it and am happy I can afford it.

Super Contributor

Hi GlitterPuss!

I totally agree with you! It's sad that the prices are so high on certain pieces, especially pieces with just DMQ! That to me is a hoot because in my personal opinion the quality of DMQ is not the same as it was from years ago. I own older pieces of DMQ that look like real diamonds. This new stuff, with these new cuts look fake to me! So why are they marking up the DMQ/JR.......QVC! QVC probably has a 50-60% margin on all Ripka!

It makes it very easy for me, with my JR collection to say NO to new items! I don't like the feeling of regret for buying a suite that is over priced. However, I think Judith has nailed it with those new everyday pieces....new bangles, with rings at reasonable prices. Judith should add new colors and go for each season and go for it!

I love that new apatite suite too....not the prices!

Valued Contributor

Given the barrage of recent negative threads and posts on this forum, it's lovely to read a series of thoughtful, well-written and respectful posts.

Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 Flyersfan said: While I have a few pieces that date back over the last 8 years, my collection has grown largely in the last 2-3 years. Unlike many of you that talk of the old days and lovely pieces, I was a poor college student in grad school and jewelry was not on my radar. While I do buy, as I am building my original collection, I just think her designs are lovely. I am not edgy, sophisticated...., I just like to look down at my wrist or finger and see something really pretty that I enjoy owning and feel that all my years of hard work and study are paying off. As I now have choices in various colors, my purchasing has become very selective and I try to find the basics, i have never owned pearls, station chains or a band ring until this past year. I am very grateful to Godfreako for her advanced postings that lets me look at the offerings and get over the 'impulse' buy that would be my downfall. I used to buy not knowing what was next and afraid to miss out. Now I can shop selectively and carefully, figure out what I like and what I am willing to pay in advance. This is my first splurge of the year, after the pearl tsv and surprisingly, my favorites are not the most expensive this time around. I purchased the braided amethyst cuff, ring and the braided hoop earrings. I will of course be watching the shows, but only occasionally to lessen the impulse urge. I will not complain about the price because the use I get out of them on a regular basis for me is worth it. I am glad Ms Ripka brought her designs to qvc and I will soon be a window or occasional shopper, as I have a lovely collection that is large enough with options but not too large that I forget what I own or have. I hope her selling continues on qvc. I think there will be another group of ladies that love her aesthetic and want to purchase her pieces and I hope she will continue to bring beautiful pieces that they can own.

Hi, Flyersfan. A great way to add to your collection is to look for new or nearly new well priced pieces on eBay that are no longer available on the Q. I've gotten pieces there that I've missed, and I've also sold pieces---it's a good way to "recycle" pieces.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Contributor

Sheesh, Thank you for the advice. I will do that. I enjoy reading your posts and your tag line quote is by far my favorite! I hope you enjoy your watch.
Esteemed Contributor

I like Judith's jewelry. I can't afford all of it but her designs are exceptional,and that is what I am paying for. I absolutely do not understand the motivation of those who feel a need to not only dis Judith's jewelry and the prices but personally insult those who do buy. Why do they care??? If you don't like a particular piece feel free to say so. I don't like everything Judith does but to call it hideous and tacky is over the top. To say "I don't know anyone who would be caught dead in this jewelry" is personally insulting and why do I care that you don't know anyone who would wear it??