Honored Contributor

Re: ALY CARR: WRONG MEASUREMENT INFO

[ Edited ]

I really don't like to complain, but watching Ali Carr this morning made me really miss Lisa Robertson presenting jewelry.  I never had any judgment about Lisa herself, one way or the other.  But I always thought she excelled at selling jewelry.  I enjoyed her grace, presence, and even her golf voice Smiley Happy .  She always presented the jewelry in a way that I wanted to buy it all.  

With that said, I just find Ali this morning with all the jokes and over the top exuberance for the most mundane things to be quite off-putting.  Plus, there were several instances where the camera had to show the jewelry at an odd angle in its display.  All Ali had to do was tip it down so it could be shown straight on camera so the viewer could actually see the stones (they were diamonds).  It wasn't until the very end of the presentation that she did it, probably at the nudge of the producer in her ear. 

I like her a lot in her other shows.  But this morning I had a hard time watching.  

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

There is nothing "wrong" with what she said. Her name is Ali.

@mom2four0418    One thing wrong with what Ali said is that a dollar bill is only 6" long.  That doesn't help much if your wrist is larger. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I really don't like to complain, but watching Ali Carr this morning made me really miss Lisa Robertson presenting jewelry.  I never had any judgment about Lisa herself, one way or the other.  But I always thought she excelled at selling jewelry.  I enjoyed her grace, presence, and even her golf voice Smiley Happy .  She always presented the jewelry in a way that I wanted to buy it all.  

With that said, I just find Ali this morning with all the jokes and over the top exuberance for the most mundane things to be quite off-putting.  Plus, there were several instances where the camera had to show the jewelry at an odd angle in its display.  All Ali had to do was tip it down so it could be shown straight on camera so the viewer could actually see the stones (they were diamonds).  It wasn't until the very end of the presentation that she did it, probably at the nudge of the producer in her ear. 

I like her a lot in her other shows.  But this morning I had a hard time watching.  

Lisa Robertson is looong gone, you could always shop her jewelry and other products on her own site.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Lisa Robertson is looong gone, you could always shop her jewelry and other products on her own site.

@KingstonsMom   Thanks for the suggestion, very helpful.  I'm in no way pining for Lisa to come back to QVC, nor do I want to see her jewelry collection on her site.  I was referring to a style of selling jewelry that resonates with me, and makes me want to watch and buy.   

Respected Contributor

I own 2 - one in my office and one in the kitchen.  I always use it to measure things and I don't sew any more.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I own several tape measures, did not realize they were becoming extinct! Anyway how does one take their own measurements for clothing without a tape measure!
Esteemed Contributor

@bcherry01 ha ha yeah that's so typical. shaking my head.

Valued Contributor

I don't know if a dollar bill is a clever idea, but I never thought of that. I think like you @Shanus , a ribbon is more likely a better measurement as long as it can't be stretched. 

I keep a tape measure in my purse at all times, but lots of times I don't carry any money. Tape measures are pretty cheap at Walmart, but one can always find them hanging at TJMaxx/Homegoods at end of aisles for your use and then can be rolled up. Smiley Wink

I do sew, still have my first tape measure needed in junior high home ec. in my sewing box. Boy, I wish they made them like that still.

Esteemed Contributor

She's definitely not a host that I bother to watch.

I do know what you mean about Lisa Robertson's ability to present and sell jewelry. I know she was a polarizing figure but she had a great voice and for a tv host, that makes a big impression on me.

There are some hosts that if I want to watch their shows, I use the mute button. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my cloth measuring tape when matching my measurements to size guides for clothes. No use writing them down because sometimes they change up or down a little depending on how piggish I've been. Mostly going up this past year and a half.