Contributor

Re: ALL DAY JEWELRY

[ Edited ]

The main reason why I even watch QVC is because it's like the perfect background noise while I'm coding. So all day jewelry is perfect for my needs. I would totally buy some of the pieces too if I could afford them right now.

However some of the marketing techniques they are using are kind of...interesting. For example this lady called in saying she was going to purchase this $1000 bracelet because someone in her family died or something (I forget the exact reason) and she wanted to cheer herself up.

Then after the call ended, the host said something like "Well you know, especially after 9/11 I think we all realized that it's important to live in the now and not just save these items for special occasions." I was like "WTF?" Who uses 9/11 to sell jewelry?

And some of the faux spirituality marketing is way over the top. For one thing, they're selling crosses one second and Eastern spiritual iconography the next, with no sense of cognitive dissonance (not to mention the cognitive dissonance of selling a multi-hundred-dollar pendant of Buddha). And even with the non-religious pieces they often go into this long story about how it's a reminder of the afterlife and God's presence and stuff. Like...correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's what religion is supposed to be about?

And the purple prose being used! There was this one pendant (it was kind of Betsey Johnson looking) that the designer said was about "the impermanence of life and the immortality of the soul." Goth af.

But most hilarious of all, is when they were selling a pendant of I think either Buddha or Kwan Yin, and the seller said that it was "a reminder to her to get away from the materialism of the world sometimes." Wait, WHAT? Do you even know what channel you are on? How? Why?

Much of QVC's marketing is amusing, but the jewelry marketing is the most amusing I have seen. Sometimes you can even tell the hosts are confused about what they are saying. And I don't get why they even have to say all this ridiculous over the top stuff because the pieces kind of speak for themselves anyway.

Valued Contributor

I am watching the jewelry show this afternoon, I checked on line for previous shown items.While Bixby jewelry is very beautiful and well made, my six pieces satisfy me. The heart pendant I have is very similar to the new hearts designs.The key pendant I have with flowers and butterflies,there are similar ones of that style also. I like the white metals, I like accents of yellow gold. So far nothing say WOW to me, but I like looking at jewelry, especially Bixby's it's very artistic.