Respected Contributor

A few questions about wedding/engagement rings please.

I got my wedding rings stolen and they were covered by insurance. Contemplating on buying new ones to replace them after the pandemic is over if we have any of the money left.

Don't know if I want to spend that much to replace them.  Sooooo....

1. Moissanite looks beautiful.  Anyone have a moissanite set?  The new colorless ones aren't suppose to look yellow or green.  The videos are gorgeous.

2.  I really need to buy yellow gold (that's what my others were) because I am allergic to nickel.  All the new yellow gold rings have yellow prongs.  I've always heard if the ring has yellow prongs, it is cheap.  The Tacori rings have yellow prongs!  Is that the new style?

3.  My perfect style would be a yellow band with the part that holds the diamond in white gold. Halo style, with side diamonds.  If I order that, it would be a special order online that are not returnable.  So not sure I want to do that either.

I've checked on real diamonds on Rarecarat, Blue Nile, etc. and decided if I go with diamonds and not moissanite I will buy from Adiamore.  But moissanite in a beautiful ring is $2,000 and real diamonds in a beautiful ring is $5,000-$6,000.

I've investigated all the jewelry places in both moissanite and diamonds trying to decide what I want. Any input you have on any of this would be helpful.

Thank you!

What to do...What to do....

Honored Contributor

Re: A few questions about wedding/engagement rings please.

You could buy the stone of your choice and have a custom ring made locally.  We have a jewelry store in my town that makes beautiful custom jewelry...most cities have such places.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You could buy the stone of your choice and have a custom ring made locally.  We have a jewelry store in my town that makes beautiful custom jewelry...most cities have such places.

That is an idea I hadn't thought of mainly because we live in a town of less than 4,000.  I could go to the city. Just don't know who is good.  Maybe I could try to check it out.  That is an option.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima I sold Fine Jewelry for 5 years after being a stylist at Dillards and hurting my back.

I personally wouldn't buy any sparkly clear stone (semi precious) as a wedding ring because they're absorbent and will absorb soap, ending up in the stone looking like a cream sickle.  

Of the stones left that aren't delicate, you have sapphire (like Diana) and diamond.

Personally, I'd do a Levian wedding band.  This one, almost $3,000 on sale for $895.  Lifetime guarantee, one free sizing.  They come in a sto

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@mima   If you're spending that much money and have an idea of what you'd like, I agree with @Kachina624 . Purchase your rings locally from a reputable jeweler. You want to see your stone(s), get the appraisal, etc. before you pay for the rings. 

Respected Contributor

When you are spending a lot of money on jewelry,  especially diamonds or even moissanite.... it's always best to see the stone and setting in person.  If not,  but sure you can get your money back if you don't like it.

If the setting has a center stone and smaller side stones... they have to 'match'.... in terms of sparkle and color.  And you have to like what you see.

As for settings.... unless the world has changed.... good quality yellow gold diamond mounting used to come with white gold prongs for the center stone.   If you find a setting in a local jeweler they should be able to order it that way.   And if there are side stones,  you want to consider whether you want white gold prongs for those side stones as well.  A diamond (or moissanite) set in white gold will often look brighter than in a yellow gold setting.    Also,  a good jeweler can have the prongs on a ring rhodium plated (a white metal in the platinum family).  Just make sure it's not a flash plating or it will wear off quickly and need to be redone often.

In the 1980's  diamonds set in yellow gold were the style.  I often had the jeweler rhodium plate the entire 'head' (prongs and base)  where the stone was set.... it made the diamonds look a lot better.

On a related note.... I don't think all l white gold has nickel in it.  I think that gold made in Italy doesn't contain nickel... it's true for yellow gold and might be for white gold as well.  It's worth checking out. 

Also consider platinum.  The price used to be much higher than gold,  and then it was less than gold.  Who knows what the prices will be when you are ready to buy.

And I'd also vote for a local jeweler.... for rings you wear every day you want a good setting,  with a substantial amound of metal (even if it's delicate looking).   These days so many setting are hollowed out and made of very thin pieces of metal.  They will not stand up to regular wear and they put the diamonds at risk of falling out.

Honored Contributor

@mima   Me, again. The reason good jewelers prefer to set a diamond with white gold or platinum prongs is because it brightens the stone. Yellow gold prongs reflect yellow color onto a white stone. Even if the band is yellow gold, the basket and prongs should be white. 

Respected Contributor

@mima    i have several moissanite, and personally think that anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that, and a natural diamond.  

at one time, i bought a nice setting with a cz in it, and a plain moissanite solitare, took them to the jeweler, and they made the "swap"  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima  

I prefer moissanite over diamonds.  You can get more for your money while getting better clarity and sparkle than diamonds. I have a few pieces that are 20 years old and they are just as white and sparkling as the day I got them.  Some people say they yellow but mine never did.  

My favorite place to get it as moissaniteco dotcom.  They offer yellow and white gold, several clearly stated qualities of stones, and special orders.  They'll also set it in rose gold if you want (email or call if you want this and they'll set it up online so you can order).    

I avoid JTV, Q, etc that don't tell you the actual quality of the moissante.  Go for the highest quality you can afford but if you get it from a reliable source, the lower qualities are still good.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima  Completely agree with @Lavenderjunkie responses to your questions. I will add that not all white gold has nickel in it! I'm also allergic to nickel and shop only two reputable jewelers (locally) and have some lovely pieces in 14K and 18K white gold without allergic reactions.

My wedding rings, some inherited rings (worn often), and a necklace worn all of the time are platinum (which has become affordable in recent years!). I'd would also add: buy the best stones and metals you are able to afford. You get what you pay for is so true! (Don't be afraid to negiotate when purchasing such an expensive set, either. A reputable jeweler will do so and be pleased to have you as a future customer. Remember, you'll need to have the rings cleaned and checked periodically! Never know when you might see something to purchase!)

And, lastly, if you find a yellow gold set your really love, have your jeweler remove the yellow gold mounting and replace it with a white gold (or platinum) mounting. It's easy, reasonable and a reputable jeweler does that all the time for different size diamonds!

Sorry about the loss of your original rings, but hope you find another set that makes you very happy.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.