Esteemed Contributor

Re: A few questions about wedding/engagement rings please.

Sorry to hear about your rings. That same thing happened to me. It's awful. 

Now for the jewelry question about the prongs. Most times the jewlers use the white gold prongs because they claim they are stronger. I think it's a matter of preference. The white gold will also provide an illusion that the stones are a bit larger than they appear. I'm not a fan of white gold and am allergic to it. I like my prongs to be in the yellow gold and they hold up. I wear my jewelry and it takes some hard knocks on door jams and washer doors. Harry Winston used yellow gold for his prongs so I figure if it was okay with him then I'm good. 

I would take your time and check out the local jewelers in your area in addtion to the larger chains. I prefer the local jeweler because you usually get exactly what you want. Depending on how much $ you prefer to spend some of the vault discoveries or Affinity or Diamonique brands are a good compromise. They could also be a a good "in between" ring until you find exactly what you want. I'll look forever until I find the "one". I do lots of looking before I purchase. Estate sale pieces are also offered at some local jewelers.

Take your time and get the ring that you want not the ring that will be "okay". 

Respected Contributor

I have 1 Moissanite ring purchased overstock.com.  It is a Charles & Colvard ring. I checked the C&C site first, then found the ring at Overstock for a good deal less. The ring is beautiful; I get more compliments on it than I do on my diamonds.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@mima    i have several moissanite, and personally think that anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that, and a natural diamond.  

at one time, i bought a nice setting with a cz in it, and a plain moissanite solitare, took them to the jeweler, and they made the "swap"  

That's a great idea too!  I'm tossing all these ideas around.  I'm not doing anything until the Pandemic is over.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@mima  

I prefer moissanite over diamonds.  You can get more for your money while getting better clarity and sparkle than diamonds. I have a few pieces that are 20 years old and they are just as white and sparkling as the day I got them.  Some people say they yellow but mine never did.  

My favorite place to get it as moissaniteco dotcom.  They offer yellow and white gold, several clearly stated qualities of stones, and special orders.  They'll also set it in rose gold if you want (email or call if you want this and they'll set it up online so you can order).    

I avoid JTV, Q, etc that don't tell you the actual quality of the moissante.  Go for the highest quality you can afford but if you get it from a reliable source, the lower qualities are still good.  

That's exactly where I was going to get mine if I go that way.  I love their settings.  If I get one, I'm going to get the C&C Forever one Hearts and Arrows.

Glad to hear feedback about them!  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@mima   Me, again. The reason good jewelers prefer to set a diamond with white gold or platinum prongs is because it brightens the stone. Yellow gold prongs reflect yellow color onto a white stone. Even if the band is yellow gold, the basket and prongs should be white. 

I agree. That's why I find it strange even to see all these gold prongs even on the really expensive stuff!

Valued Contributor

This past January a dear friend went to a local family owned jeweler to inquire about having a mothers ring made with 4 diamonds.  She ended up choosing lab grown diamonds set in a white gold band. Each stone is about 1/4 carat and it is gorgeous. It cost about half compared to natural diamonds.

Frequent Contributor

Check out the Fire LIght lab grown diamonds on the Q. I can say they are very nice. Some are now in yellow gold. They are about E-F color and probably VVS1. They are real diamonds and they are "blood diamonds." 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@mima   Me, again. The reason good jewelers prefer to set a diamond with white gold or platinum prongs is because it brightens the stone. Yellow gold prongs reflect yellow color onto a white stone. Even if the band is yellow gold, the basket and prongs should be white. 

Correct and that's why Platinum is the ideal setting for diamonds (plus 18K white old)  18K white is twice the brightner for diamond.  Yellow gold (especially 14K) always dims diamonds to me.