Honored Contributor

A Vicence watch TSV of yesteryear

Does anyone remember this watch?  It had interchangeable bands that slid off with a snap bar on the watch back.  The design was flawed as the snap bars popped open when you moved your wrist.  Mine ran for close to 5 years, as I seldom wore it and always pulled the stem.

It's been sitting in my jewelry box with a dead battery for who knows how long, as no jewelry store in our area wanted to work on it.  Today I finally found a (new in town) jeweler who said she'd try but she thought it looked as if the crystal was held in place the the pressure from the back casing.

She was right.  When she finally got the back off, the crystal fell out.  She asked who would sell such a poorly designed watch. (the bands kept falling off due to the poor quality snap bars) She also said she feared I paid much too much for it.

Vincence 14k Solid Gold Wrist Watch

Honored Contributor

Re: A Vicence watch TSV of yesteryear

There is nothing like a brutally honest jeweler.  Personally I've been happy to find a local shop owned and staffed completely with women.  I've been happy with their repair work on the auction pieces I take to them.  Last trip the owner even offered to briefly appraise my auction find diamonds.  This will save me quite a bit in official insurance appraisals, which I rarely bother with. 

Respected Contributor

I have a Vicenza watch like that from the Q with the snap bars, but mine has a round face.  I still use it (have had the battery replaced a couple times).  I only had mine unsnap once, and that's probably because I only have 5" wrists and the band was new and stiff.  I do think I remember the jeweler telling me (the first time I had the battery replaced) that they had to glue down the crystal for me.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

You probably did pay too much for it. Jewelers are like dentists and they will always pick at someone else's work. Part of what they do is sell and they like to get you to purchase from them.  Because they purchase watches from vendors for resale, they have a  good idea of what's out there, what they pay to get it in the store and what they would sell it for.

Vicenze watches are a Q product and there is the markup.  Those watches I would only buy steeply discounted. They are attractive, but they're about the looks and not longevity. Q wants you to buy a new one.

Honored Contributor

I have 4 Vicence watches, 3 now actually as I sold one to my jeweler.

2 of mine are gold panther link bands, not just the face is gold.  One in WG and one YG.

I do wear them as jewelry,tbh.  There've been times they were still on EST vs DST and I never bothered to change them back!

I don't feel like I paid too much for them.  In fact, if they would come out with another one (and nothankyou I don't like the crunchy little diamond accents) I'd buy it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I have 4 Vicence watches, 3 now actually as I sold one to my jeweler.

2 of mine are gold panther link bands, not just the face is gold.  One in WG and one YG.

I do wear them as jewelry,tbh.  There've been times they were still on EST vs DST and I never bothered to change them back!

I don't feel like I paid too much for them.  In fact, if they would come out with another one (and nothankyou I don't like the crunchy little diamond accents) I'd buy it.

I have 2 all gold Vincence watches which I love.  That is why I was so excited when this TSV came up as it was sporty and different from the typical round face  leather band watches.  From the minute the reviews started coming in mentioning the snap bars popping open, I should have returned it. When I did wear it, I was constantly touch the watch, making sure the bars were still snapped.

Enjoy your watches and wear them in good health.

Super Contributor

Mine was all gold - the jeweler refused to change the battery in it - too thin - it was junk

Respected Contributor

I have a 14 kt panther link watch I got from Q.  I paid $500 for it probably 15 yrs ago. Took it to my local jeweler last year to replace the battery.  When he was finished putting the battery in, he commented that it was a nice piece.  

Respected Contributor

15 years ago, it was possible to get very nice gold jewelry and nice watches The price of gold was very low.

You really can't compare something you got in 2000 with somethng from 2014 or 2015.  It's sad.

Respected Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

15 years ago, it was possible to get very nice gold jewelry and nice watches The price of gold was very low.

You really can't compare something you got in 2000 with somethng from 2014 or 2015.  It's sad.

yup.  I see my Imperial Gold Mirawheat bracelet on the bay for 2x and more what I paid for it.  And it was a major purchase for me back then.  Crazy what folks are asking for 14 Kt now.