Frequent Contributor

Re: A Jay King TS on HSN at midnight!

On 7/9/2014 okiebug said:

I'm not fond of Jay King - what he says generally isn't what's the description on the website says, as minimal as HSN's details are. Regardless of what rainbow calsilica is, the turq is barely enough turq for them to say it legally - it's Chinese turquoise, stabilized and compressed. Nothing wrong with stabilized, that's been done for years. However, compressed means small pieces and dust mixed with resin and compressed into a shape, so it's also dyed. Quote below is from collectorsguide.com - identifying turquoise

Reconstituted turquoise - turquoise "chalk" that is very low grade and has been ground into powder, saturated with epoxy resin, dyed, and compressed into blocks or cakes to be cut into shapes for jewelry making. Prices should be most inexpensive.

Wow. Doesn't it seem like they shouldn't even be allowed to call it turquoise? That is crazy.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 sueinsf said:
On 7/9/2014 okiebug said:

the turq is barely enough turq for them to say it legally - it's Chinese turquoise, stabilized and compressed. Nothing wrong with stabilized, that's been done for years. However, compressed means small pieces and dust mixed with resin and compressed into a shape, so it's also dyed. Quote below is from collectorsguide.com - identifying turquoise

Reconstituted turquoise - turquoise "chalk" that is very low grade and has been ground into powder, saturated with epoxy resin, dyed, and compressed into blocks or cakes to be cut into shapes for jewelry making. Prices should be most inexpensive.

Where are you getting the information that Jay King's turquoise is compressed or reconstituted??? And typically, when the turquoise is dyed (such as purple or green) I've heard Jay say so and he will say when it is the natural color as well.

It says so on the HSN item description: "Stabilized Compressed Blue/Green Turquoise."

Suzanne Runyon sure looks different. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

She does look different; I noticed that too. Maybe the eyes?

Jay sold block turquoise for quite sometime before admitting it on air. They take small unusable bits and pieces, scraps, and bind them together into a block with resin, then cut and polish it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Sad - but all true!! no worries though - if you love it . you should still love it - wear what makes you happy!!

Honored Contributor

On 7/9/2014 kachina624 said:

Jay sold block turquoise for quite sometime before admitting it on air. They take small unusable bits and pieces, scraps, and bind them together into a block with resin, then cut and polish it.

Hmm, that disturbs me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 Bird mama said:

Hmm, that disturbs me.

Kachina, they did the same with the synthetic green mojave turquoise and then again with the purple synthetic turquoise that came after they duped us with the green stuff before admitting it was fake.
If the vendors/hosts were only honest about it, the customer could make an informed decision before making a purchase.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 kathoderay said:
On 7/9/2014 Bird mama said:

Hmm, that disturbs me.

Kachina, they did the same with the synthetic green mojave turquoise and then again with the purple synthetic turquoise that came after they duped us with the green stuff before admitting it was fake.
If the vendors/hosts were only honest about it, the customer could make an informed decision before making a purchase.

Sadly, I think many people don't really care, past "Oh! Pretty!" {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I have a Jay King turquoise pendant from around 2005 -- I always thought it looked odd.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how they do this and keep a straight face but Connie in presenting the calsilica, is starting talk of the mine closing. Can you believe it? I'm talking the calsilica mine!

I doubt people much care whether calsilica is real or fake; they just like the pretty colors. What they don't like is being lied to. I think he's making a big mistake in at least not leaving the door open to the possibility that it's man-made. It could ruin his reputation.

I remember when he was hawking that horrid yellow-green stuff, calling it Mojave Green. He claimed to have ownership in a mine out in the middle of the desert where it was being mined. Turned out his "mine" was producing purple too. Then the story changed and it was an amazing process Marty invented using his Kingman turquoise. Not just any Kingman but extra, extra special Kingman that is specially selected to take the dye. Does any of this sound familiar? I think Jay is the spinmeister. Now we have rainbow calsilica out in the desert that no one can visit or photograph. Why? This isn't the Manhattan Project we've got going.

You can tell he doesn't feel well. I've never seen him so subdued. When callers come on the line talking about how wonderful he is, he just mumbles or grunts. Poor guy having to listen to Connie.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I think Jay is the spinmeister. Now we have rainbow calsilica out in the desert that no one can visit or photograph. Why? This isn't the Manhattan Project we've got going.

Plus, it's Mexico, and people are not feeling favorable to our southern neighbor lately.

Respected Contributor

Listen to these people - every mine is closed. JK definitely sells inferior stones. And Connie's voice is so impossible! My DH just asked me to mute our TV.