Honored Contributor

A $2,000 fire opal ring is sold out?

How many did they buy, one?

Respected Contributor

Re: A $2,000 fire opal ring is sold out?

I have a feeling that they are holding it until Gem Day.

Trusted Contributor

I doubt if they stocked even a dozen of those, given the expense to have in inventory or to have available but held by the manufacturer. When they sell out, they sell out. Expensive inventory is not kept in large quantities.

A $2K ring is usually considered a luxury item and QVC can't be sure that people who want these types of purchases will actually make them on an online shopping site. And if the ring is returned, QVC still has to find another buyer to enure profit on a high expense they've made to provide the merhcandise. So they limit their quantities and hope they do sell out.

Looks like this ring sold out. Your presumption that only one was offered is unrealistic, but I'm sure not many were actually available.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass Which one? I see this one has a couple of sold out sizes, but 5 and 9 are available.J397127 I love fire opals and have several. My favorites are the deeper orange/red Mexican fire opals. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mary Beth said on the show that they only had 20 😊

Honored Contributor

Opal is so fragile, I can't imagine spending that much on a ring and buying it from TV!

Honored Contributor

It probably won't be available until Gem Day.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Opal is so fragile, I can't imagine spending that much on a ring and buying it from TV!

@kaydee50   ITA. Opals are great for earrings or a pendant on a short chain (not a long one that can swing against counters, etc.)....As a ring, it'd have to be removed to wash your hands.

Honored Contributor

I really hate my birthstone...the opal.  The only valuable opal is the Lightning Ridge Black opal from Australia.  You can get those at Gem Shopping set in platinum with diamonds for under $2,000.00.   I especially dislike the  fire opal.My dislike comes down to opals being mostly cabochon.  Not this one, but it still creeps me out. 

Respected Contributor

I watched the presentation this morning and I must say, it is a ring to drool over.

I do not have any fire opals (I am just not an orange person), but if I were in the market, this gorgeous ring would be at the top of my list.  QVC was only able to obtain 20 large stones from Brazil, said Jeff.

I really like the rainbow colors in regular opals as well.  Again, it is a soft stone, so I only own a few pieces such as mosaic opal rings and earrings with a glass cover.

The opals from Ethiopia were very popular, but I know they can turn yellow or brown, and I am somewhat hard on my jewelry.  Thank goodness my birthstone is diamond--almost indestructible (but usually expensive!).