Trusted Contributor

Re: $998 for ""Synthetic Quartz"" Really Judith?

On 3/14/2015 juliet said:

I've made reference to this before but will mention again that I love the vintage Miriam Haskell jewelry - not even the metal is real - glass seed pearls - fake stones. But the prices are sky high. I even went to one store in a small town where they kept the pieces in the vault. I have a few really nice pieces that I was able to find for good prices that are awesome. I totally prefer real gems and pearls but some of the jewelry that I have in gold with real stones really doesn't even compare to the designs of the vintage pieces or to many of Judith's designs. Luckily I got some of her early pieces in jade and now try to get the real gems when they are affordable but I did make an exception for the ambrosia bracelet when Sam's had their half price sale. I still can't tell the difference between those stones and my real amethysts, peridots, etc. - if they are fake they are amazing and look real to me. So while I can appreciate all the reminders and agree that we need to be cautious it doesn't mean that the value is only in the scrap metal. That's like saying that a famous oil painting is only worth the value of the canvas and paints. I'm a fan because of her clip earrings that I can't find in real gems anywhere.

I love quality vintage and costume jewelry too.....especially costume pieces incorporating good art glass, as many MH pieces did. Miriam Haskell's vintage costume pieces are beautifully made, old, exceptional works of creative art from a bygone era, now highly sought after and collectible. She and her partner designer were masters of design and skillfully incorporated artistic references from various historical periods and design trends in her work. Some of these beautiful jewelry pieces were worn in movies and public appearances by famous personalities including Joan Crawford, Lucille Ball, Gloria Vanderbilt, and the Duchess of Windsor. Flo Ziegfeld was another client. Comparing these rare and collectible vintage pieces to JR's mass-produced line of "not-quite-fine" jewelry sold by the truckload on a TV shopping channel is like.......well, I can't think of a comparison. Still, many M.H pieces are available for much less than many of J.R.'s QVC offerings. If you aren't familiar with Miriam Hasell's work, you can see examples on Pinterest, eBay, and various vintage jewelry websites. I've seen several pieces on Antiques Roadshow over the years. Haven't seen any Ripka on the Roadshow, though........

Regular Contributor

thanks for all the info on Haskell - very interesting and I appreciate knowing more about it. I was commenting in response to the point that Ripka was fake and worthless which is not true since I have many pieces with real gems. I didn't mean to compare her pieces with Haskell's artistry but only to point out that fake stones and metals can be sought after and pricey. After checking my records I remembered that the large amethyst heart and smoky quartz in my ambrosia bracelet are real gems - I thought they looked real. Yes the prices have skyrocketed so I'm happy with what I already have and didn't buy anything so far this year but still enjoy watching and sure loved those emeralds.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/14/2015 GoodStuff said:
On 3/14/2015 KathyPet said: WHen I buy JR jewelry I am not buying for the stones. I don't care if they are real or not I am paying for the design of the piece.

She's got you right where she wants you, my dear.

You were reading my mind.

If the jewelry is that expensive and has SYNTHETIC stones....all I have to say is...WOW.

SMH

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Stella Dallas said:
On 3/14/2015 BlingQueen022 said: I ordered the ring. I don't care if it's real or not. What I spend my money on shouldn't concern anybody.

No one cares how you spend your money.

What does raise some eyebrows--mine among them--is overly priced cheap "gemstones" -- I'm not sure quartz is even considered one. I've pointed this out more than once and I guess more people are thinking along the same lines.

I bought some nice gold huggie hoops on Overstock.com today and I paid a lot less; they are gold-over-silver and the diamonds are probably chips but I since they were only $25, I don't care.

$998 for FAKE QUARTZ -- I care.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

n/m

Trusted Contributor

On 3/15/2015 missy1 said:
On 3/14/2015 BlingQueen022 said: I ordered the ring. I don't care if it's real or not. What I spend my money on shouldn't concern anybody.

quote of the day{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

What you personally decide to spend your own money on is up to you. You are totally free to buy what you like and pay whatever you want for it.

Others on these boards and elsewhere are interested in jewelry, shopping, comparative pricing, quality, and value. From those perspectives, we raise our eyebrows and play close attention when we see signs of gouging and overpricing. Some of these Ripka items and prices have me on full alert. Some of these prices are simply ridiculous.

Super Contributor

I've never cared for Judith Ripka jewelry, not my style and I certainly can't wear it since most is big and bold and I like small jewelry. That said, to each his own, I certainly would never think to tell anyone what to spend their money on but....I agree wayyyyy wayyyyyy overpriced for what it is IMO. It's really unbelievable some of the prices she's asking like others have said for sterling and fake Quartz?!? Then again, I wouldnt spend upwards of $300 on a Dooney bag either. Not that I don't like some of them but I look for them at TJMAX or marshalls at 1/2 price.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/15/2015 kalikokty said:

News flash - NO ONE cares how you spend your money.

News Flash for you too - NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU EITHER.

Valued Contributor

I OWN A HUGE CHUNK OF PINK QUARTZ i FOUND IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOUT 70 MILES FROM MY HOUSE. tHERE IS A TON OF BEAUTIFUL QUARTZ , MICA AND OTHER MINERALS THERE Smile not paying $1000 or even i00 for quartz

Trusted Contributor

On 3/15/2015 stray770 said: I am not a fan of JR or her designs; they are too ornate. I too live in NJ and worked in NYC 28 years, just retired. I never felt unsafe in NYC particularly in the jewelry district; there have been occasional robberies but no worse than on Madison Ave. or any other city, probably less , because private security is on site in many shops. I purchase authentic there at good prices as well as in China Town. That being said, I would not pay for paste as you are basically getting glass, resin or plastic. Yes, the fake have more clarity than authentic but then, glass does have clarity but jewels like emeralds are an investment. I enjoy my jewelry but if I am spending a considerable amount, I would like it to live on after I am gone for others to enjoy. JR jewelry will not increase in value over time and probably worth zero dollars except maybe for the metal and to collectors of JR. Many may enjoy and are purchasing a fantasy as JR pieces are recognizable and some probably enjoy comments from admirers who do recognize their JR pieces along with the assumption, they were purchased on Madison Avenue not QVC. For me, I just can't rationalize spending my hard earned money on fake and would rather give it to a homeless person sitting outside her store on Madison Avenue than to JR. My understanding is that she is not too gracious to her employees. But, as pointed out, it is your money and you spend it as you see fit and I do hope you enjoy your jewelry and these are just my opinions.
I totally agree with everything you state, including the treatment of her employees and her high and mighty air about her, except for the fact that her pieces are recognizable. The ripkanistas think and want to believe that they are and IMO, you don't buy because you want people to know you're wearing a Ripka. Years ago I purchased the auto delivery bracelets, each one was different, and I believe each one was automatically shipped every 3 months for $99. Last time I saw those bracelets on air they were on auto delivery for $200 each. After I received them, I wore 2 of them when I was in Nordstroms, just browsing in the jewelry dept. The saleswoman told me she liked the bracelets and asked where I bought them. I told her QVC and they were Judith Ripka, her reply was "oh, I never heard of her". No one ever said anything else anytime I wore them but I didn't care because I bought them because of the price and I liked them. I have one pendant from years ago and haven't bought another thing. Won't buy anything from her anymore at her outrageous prices and from any vendor who has an attitude.
Frequent Contributor

On 3/16/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 3/15/2015 BlingQueen022 said:
On 3/15/2015 kalikokty said:

News flash - NO ONE cares how you spend your money.

News Flash for you too - NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU EITHER{#emotions_dlg.lol}.

Oh now aren't you sweet! Now that was uncalled for and cruel. Your Ripkanista attitude is showing and it's not pretty.
ITA, uncalled for & mean! Again, nobody is telling you how to spend your money. They are just amazed anyone would pay that amount of money for quartz, much less FAKE QUARTZ.