Respected Contributor

$200 Q bracelet broke in less than 5 minutes.

Let me begin by saying I no longer watch full QVC programs. Products have become too repetitive and the clothing lines all have standard Q styling w bell sleeves, peplums, never ending tunics and clothing very often much too big for petites and the list goes on.

I did enjoy the fine jewelry shows and bought a gold bracelet offered on the big GOLD program in August. All day the presentation emphasized the magnetic closure showing the two ends magically snapping into place. I was on a wait list and my bracelet arrived yesterday. I tested the clasp, put it on my wrist and took it off about two minutes later. Over and over I tried, but the magnet no longer worked . It was back in the mailbox in 15 minutes. I guess you can't have quality control over hundreds of items. BYE Q, not wasting time like this anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: $200 Q bracelet broke in less than 5 minutes.

@ellaphant 

Your post brought me back about 25 years.  A friend and I were at a convention and walking through the enormous hall full of vendors.  We came to one who had magnetic bracelets and necklaces.  My friend already had one and wanted a different style, so was trying them on.  She urged me to do so, but I told her that magnetic clasps don't hold on me.  "Nonsense," she said.  So, I put the bracelet on, let the two magnetic ends close and Bob's your uncle, the two ends came apart.  She was so surprised.

Thing is, there is a certain population of people who simply cannot wear jewelry with magnetic closures, as the magnets don't work on them.  I'm one of those.  Perhaps you are, too.

Honored Contributor

$200 doesn't buy what it used to.  Since it was gold, it wasn't more than 2-3 grams which, to me, is not enough for a bracelet.  I need one with a little more gold to it since bracelets get banged around more than most pieces of jewelry.   It's one of my pet peeves with Q's gold jewelry.  Their price per gram is a lot more than most online retailers.  The best place to buy gold jewelry is sarrafdotcom.  Their service is outstanding and I've never had a problem with their products.  

Now that I said that, gold prices are going up so it'll get ore expensive.  ugh.

Honored Contributor

Although $200 is a lot of money, it won't get you much in gold.  Even when gold was more reasonable QVC would always find a way to cut corners when it came to the findings.  I don't think I would buy anything in gold from them anymore.

Trusted Contributor

Those magnetic closures on a bracelet of any kind are a dicey proposition.  They stick to shopping cart handles and other metal that gets close enough.  Consider that you have dodged a bullet and count yourself lucky.  At least you didn't lose your $200 bracelet!

Honored Contributor

yeah, I had a bracelet that had the magnet I wore it to the grocery and it stuck to the cart handle all thru the store and I had to constantly check on it.

Wasn't gold I wouldn't wear gold to supermarket, a silver piece from HSN

Think it was turquoise stones on one side and flip it , then, it had red coral.

Anyway, I was afraid I'd lose it and don't want to watch my jewelry like a hawk, so, just sent it back.

Respected Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

Those magnetic closures on a bracelet of any kind are a dicey proposition.  They stick to shopping cart handles and other metal that gets close enough.  Consider that you have dodged a bullet and count yourself lucky.  At least you didn't lose your $200 bracelet!

Years ago I had a bracelet with a magnetic closure.  I lost it and after back tracking my day, I found it (still) attached to the grocery cart I'd placed in the store parking lot.  For once I was glad they seldom brought the carts back to the store. 

I had the clasp changed the next day.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1 Lucky you!  For a change I've learned frolm other's mistakes and never bought a bracelet with that kind of closure.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been as lucky as you and @ellaphant  if I had.

Respected Contributor

QVC is not the only jewelry channel that keeps stressing the ease of magnetic closures. I have seen the bracelets and even necklaces withe these type of closures. I have some pieces with the magnetic closures and find that the closures easily come apart. Thank goodness they are costume jewelry pieces.

Honored Contributor

I have a necklace from JTV with a magnetic clasp and I love it.  It is so easy to put on.  However, twice, the magnetic side has come apart and DH has had to glue it back in.  And I am very, very careful not to just yank the magnetics apart.