Honored Contributor

Re: 14k pendant leaves black smudge on shirt

Q4u  is right...gold oxidizes just like silver tarnishes.  Give your pendant a good polishing with a silver polishing cloth.  It will remove oxidation on gold too

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in a fine jewelry store, years ago.  We were told that the black marks are actually finely ground gold.  Gold is a very soft metal, so ingredients (clay or minerals?) in cosmetics and lotions can grind the gold off on your skin.  I would think that for some people their natural skin oils or sweat might also do that. It does seem that certain individuals have more of a problem with it than others.  

Regular Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

If I am not mistaken there is nickel in 14K gold and that is what makes the greenish/dark coloration on the fingers or articles of clothing and if you "finger" the item it mixes with your body chemistry and oxidation occurs, causing this.  I think others are right in suggesting you clean it with a soft dry cloth (I use old cotton bathcloths or jeweler's cloth for cleaning jewelry).  I don't see the need to dunk it every night in a jewelry cleaner, just keep it wiped with a jeweler's cloth or soft cotton, even an old T-shirt as long as it is pure cotton and was not dried with any softeners such as Downy.

I hope this brings you success.  It is sad to have such a coveted piece tarnish your skin or clothing.  

I WOULD NOT PUT NAIL POLISH ON ANY REAL GOLD JEWELRY

Thanks! I am going to buy a gold polishing cloth.  I have a silver polishing cloth, but it needs to be replaced, so I'll get one of each.  I really don't want to put nail polish on my pendant.  Keeping my fingers crossed -- I've gotten so that I don't want to wear the pendant if it will be sitting on clothing.  Seems to be fine when it sits directly on my skin. 

Honored Contributor

@duster95 wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Yes this has happened to me. I have an imperial gold mirawheat bracelet. When I wear it and put lotion on my hands after each time I wash them, I can get a dark mark on the edge of the cuff of my long sleeve sweaters.  

Also, I have a diamond pendant made by the local goldsmith. I found that if I handle the pendant throughout the day it can leave a grayish mark on my sweater. If I leave it alone, it doesn't happen so maybe it's my skin oils?

Come to think of it, my tourmaline dangle earrings leave a dark mark on my ear lobes sometimes. Maybe the nickel in the gold?

Hmm, I do tend to play with my pendant, when I'm wearing it.  Maybe that causes it??  I wore the cross to church this morning, and when we got home, I noticed a slight smudge on my shirt (it was layered under a sweater), and I only wore it about 3 hours.  And I wasn't playing with my pendant today.

@duster95*******Having worked in Fine Jewelry for the past five years, it seems you skin could be acidic as well, especially if good rings turn your finger.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I apologize for the long post,  but,  I found this:

"METALLIC ABRASION
Make-up present on the skin or clothing is the most common cause of the blackening or smudging. Cosmetics often contain chemical compounds which are harder than the jewelry itself. Metallic abrasion occurs when these hard compounds come in contact with the jewelry metals and wear or rub off very tiny particles of metal which appear as jet black dust. Very finely divided metal always appears black rather than metallic. When this dust falls on absorbent surfaces, such as the skin or clothing it sticks, forming a black smudge.
To prevent this, cosmetics which contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, ferric oxide, and calamine should be avoided. If this is not possible we recommend that you remove rings and other metal jewelry while applying cosmetics. Also, clean with soap and water those skin areas which will be in contact with your jewelry.

CORROSION
Another cause of discoloration is due to the corrosion of the metals from which the jewelry is made. Pure gold, 24K, itself will not corrode but is too soft for many kinds of jewelry and therefore is alloyed with proportions of base metals, usually silver or copper to make it harder. The composition of 14 karat gold is 14/24 pure gold and 10/24 alloys. Only the base metal used for alloying corrodes, leaving the gold untouched. The chemical compounds of silver and copper which are formed turn very dark even when slightly corroded.This corrosion occurs under moist or wet conditions.
Our skin on which the jewelry lies, is provided with thousands of perspiration glands. Chemically the perspiration is mostly fat and fatty acids. These essentially mild chemicals are enough to cause corrosion of 14 karat gold especially when aided by warmth and free access of air. When this happens we suggest that you remove your jewelry often and use an absorbent powder, free of zinc oxide, on the skin areas which come into contact with your jewelry.
Rings containing copper and silver alloys, particularly sterling silver, corrode readily on the skin if enough salt is present. Simply exposing the hands to salted nuts, crackers, or popcorn can cause such corrosion and discolor the skin. Rings should be taken off when you must expose your hands to salt."