Respected Contributor

Plated 14k yellow gold doesn't even hold up when plated on 14k white gold. Or vice versa.  Some cheap manufacturerers don't bother to cast in two colors when making wedding sets.

I was given a plated item not long ago and the back side is already gone and it's only been placed against fabric and worn a few times.

Honored Contributor

Re: 14k clad jewelery

[ Edited ]

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Plated 14k yellow gold doesn't even hold up when plated on 14k white gold. Or vice versa.  Some cheap manufacturerers don't bother to cast in two colors when making wedding sets.

I was given a plated item not long ago and the back side is already gone and it's only been placed against fabric and worn a few times.

Funny how some people can own something for years and years and it stays nice and others it just doesn't last at all.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

I wouldn't buy 14kt clad or Diamonique. They're perfect for people who can't afford real 14 kt gold and real diamonds.

When buying trendy pieces , not the classics that will be worn forever, it is foolish to buy real.You are only going to wear them a short while until the trend passes. Not a good investment of my $$$$. 

I DON'T buy "trendy" jewelry. I buy "real" for the long term, so it IS a good investment.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Funny how some people can own something for years and years and it stays nice and others it just doesn't last at all.

Exactly, That's why I would never buy a plated ring.  I remember green fingers as a teen.  I purchased Technobond from HSN which had a guarantee.  My son wore the plating off and all the rest of mine is now in the garbage too.  Some I didn't even wear much, just tarnish came to the surface and couldn't remove it.

Honored Contributor

Valued Contributor

I have had a watch I wore a lot that was gold then wore off in places looking steel underneath, so I've never bought the clad because silver showing under gold isn't pretty. I have bought the black rhodium plated and have only have it wear off on stack rings where they touch each other. So far the prongs look good, but charcoal color worn down to silver doesn't look as bad. But I am picky, I don't leave a manicure if I get a chip so once it's obvious, I would give it to my husband who has a weird thing of an open treasure chest with jewels coming out display. He's odd, but my old jewelry goes there. Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Why would they make 14k yellow gold over 14k white gold, that makes no sense at all. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@KALLIE     I don't think jewelry of any kind should be considered a good investment if your looking at resale. I have seen what many would consider valuable jewelry go for very little at auction and resale to jewelers. I buy jewelry because I think it's pretty and wear it every day,

Respected Contributor

Re: 14k clad jewelery

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Why would they make 14k yellow gold over 14k white gold, that makes no sense at all. 

Because they wanted a cheap two toned ring and didn't want to cast each piece separately.  They just mask off one part and plate it, which wears off and the customer is disappointed but by then the seller doesn't care, they have your money..... Sucker.....

Super Contributor

The thing is with 14 clad  cannot size the rings.  I wish they come out with larger size rings.