Respected Contributor

14K Necklace Strung On Thread?

Has anyone else purchased J319836?  I really want a white gold necklace and the price was right.  Q photos are of the "yellow" version but my white one came strung on white thread!  There's no thread in the photo and I thought it would be a fine box chain like some other gold bead necklaces are.....

I wrote a review and suggested this be disclosed.  Or maybe I got one that was different and shouldn't have been sent out.

Please if you have ordered this one let me know.  Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

Re: 14K Necklace Strung On Thread?

That seems defective.

I don't own it but hope someone can answer your question.

I would be prepared to send it back......at their expense.

@Jackhound Mom

Respected Contributor

I don't have the neckalce, but those are beads, which are strung on thread or wire, not links.  It would be helpful if they'd describe it better for buyers.

Honored Contributor

They are assuming that everyone that reads that it is a bead necklace understands that beads are stung on something.  They absolutely should have made that clear AND to disclose what the beads are strung on.  It's rare (and expensive) to string 14k beads on a 14k wire/chain, but that is the best (and used to be common) way to go.  I don't care for "string" or the plastic string because they break far too easily.  One of the things about pearls that makes me nervous.

Just seems somewhat deceptive not to disclose more about the necklace....  Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your answers.  Maybe someone will write that has this necklace because CS could not answer the question about what the string material was supposed to be. 

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom @Q4u. I checked the item # for the beaded necklace. If gold beads for that price, they're hopefully strung on a metal coated string that I use when I do any bead work. 

It's quite strong...as strong as using a woven chain. In fact it is stronger. A gold chain under the beads when bending back and forth during wear will have a tendacy to eventually break in a place causing your beads to fall off. 

Pearls are perfectly safe on their special cording... stronger than heavy floss as long as they are knotted. The knots protect the pearls from scratching each other and add strength to the strand by adding "heft" at the sight of the knot.

Respected Contributor

Great answer!  I also do beadwork.  This was just thread (with a large gap) with unsightly knots under each end cap, not even pearl cord.  Not like the photo. 

I sure wish someone else with the same item could answer. 

Trusted Contributor

Q4U wrote:

They are assuming that everyone that reads that it is a bead necklace understands that beads are stung on something.  They absolutely should have made that clear AND to disclose what the beads are strung on.  It's rare (and expensive) to string 14k beads on a 14k wire/chain, but that is the best (and used to be common) way to go.  I don't care for "string" or the plastic string because they break far too easily.  One of the things about pearls that makes me nervous.

Just seems somewhat deceptive not to disclose more about the necklace....  :womanfrustrated:

@Q4u, I understand your feelings about a pearl necklace.  I only have pearl necklaces that are knotted ... a knot tied between each pearl  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom. Maybe others didn't order because they had doubts as well. 

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  End caps should definitely be covered w/ special findings for that purpose. If I use them for silver pieces, no question they should be on a gold necklace!!