Respected Contributor

Hello, Furr mommy and welcome. Smile

Basically, resin is a high quality, durable plastic. The resin is then dipped in gold. I think it cost less, too, since it's not solid gold. Enjoy your new earrings.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Plastic dipped in gold. Almost no intrinsic value, but durable You are paying mostly for the plastic material. But you are paying in constantly inflated dollars. Fair enough.

Honored Contributor
I don't own any but I like the concept, I think it's over priced, which is why I pefer gold over silver. But for those of us who arent buying gold for posterity and choose not to invest money in jewelry that is just for fun, resin filled gold is a great way to go. Obviously, it's a good product because QVC sells a lot of it and has for some time.
Honored Contributor

I think it's fine for day to day wear and is more affordable. You'll read lots of posts about it not being 'investment quality' and it's not, but personally I don't need for every piece of jewelry I own to be procured with an eye toward investment or resale. I have several pieces of 'filled' gold jewelry I like to wear and have had no problems with any of it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Resin-filled gold has taken more than its share of bashing on these boards, mostly from the "I-Only-Buy-Expensive-Gold" faction. I'm a gold lover, too, but the resin/gold pieces are my kinda costume jewelry. I think it will hold up better than gold plate--which I never buy--over time, but have no way of knowing as yet. Several posters have pointed out that it is a good-sense purchase for earrings, and I agree with that. The earrings are light weight, even for bolder styles and not something that you will mourn for months if you lose one--a common problem for me. Still, you get the nice gold look at a fraction of the price.

I've only bought a few earrings and a few bangles in the resin/gold, and I'm delighted with them. The bangles mix nicely with my older "real" gold bangles for the fuller look that is popular today. I wear them a lot, and so far, no signs of wear at all. I feel safer wearing the earrings than I do some of my more expensive "real" gold earrings that I'm always afraid of losing.

Jewelry is supposed to be fun to own and to wear. Every piece you own does not have to be heirloom quality to fit that bill. If you like it, buy it! Wear it happily!

Frequent Contributor

I own one resin-filled bangle and two pair of earrings. They have held up extremely well. I don't buy jewelry for investment purposes, so I'm not concerned about the resin filling and reselling. I have a terrible metal allergy, so I can't wear costume jewelry, but I can wear the resin filled 14k with no problems whatsoever. The resin-filled gives me the opportunity to wear new pieces of 14k jewelry at a fairly reasonable price.

Honored Contributor

I think people should know that even solid gold jewelry loses it's resale value after purchasing. Not a lot, but you won't even get what you paid for. If you want fine jewelry check out pawn shops or estate sections of jewelry stores. Shopping channels are still a not good source for gold. They probably won't be for quite a few years to come.

Honored Contributor

It's not gold plated resin.........it's hollow gold (electroform), filled with resin

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor
On 1/25/2015 Desertdi said:

It's not gold plated resin.........it's hollow gold (electroform), filled with resin

True.

According to Rio Grande electroforming produces deposits typically 4 to 6 mls/100-150 microns thick. In the case of 24K gold thickness can be up to 10mls. For comparison a human red blood cell is 5 microns across. A human hair is about 75 microns across, depending on the person (from bacteria-world).

From Rio Grande:

Properties of Electroformed Jewelry
Typically, electroforming produces deposits 4 to 6 mils/100 to 150 microns (0.1 mm to 0.15 mm) thick. For larger articles, this may increase to 6 to 8 mils/150 to 200 microns (0.15 mm to 0.2 mm). In the case of 24k gold, they may be even thicker, around 10 mils/ 250 microns (0.25 mm).

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I own 4 pairs of 14kt over resin and I love them. The Q copies their 18kt line for designs so earrings are high end looking. I have had no problems with these earrings.