Honored Contributor

Re: white mailbox - yea or nay?

If it were me, I would spray paint the old one white.  If you don't like it, you could always paint it black again.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If it were me, I would spray paint the old one white.  If you don't like it, you could always paint it black again.

@CelticCrafter  That would be something I probably would do also if it still is in good condition.   One almost never gets the quality today of items from years ago.

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

I live in a red brick rambler/cottage built in the early 50's, it had a black mailbox, I removed it years ago and put up different charming baskets (natural color and white--looked wonderful when the paint started fading and chipping) with a plaid/checkered bow on it, changing out the bows with the seasonal wreath colors....the USPS did not like the basket because it did not meet the USPS requirements to receive mail so I had to bite the bullet and get a mailbox.  This was a dilemna since I hated most of the typical mailboxes and I am extremely picky about design, color and balance at the front entrance.....I scoured the internet for designs and settled on a WHITE metal mailbox.  It looks to me like something you would find in Williamsburg, it is not a rectangle, it is a square and I love it the longer I have it and it looks great from the street.  The front storm door is the thinner white frame, full glass, front door is terracotta red, and there is a beautiful wide white moulding around the front door.  The WHITE mailbox is terrific!  I still add a bow on the mailbox so I can keep my little special touches on the mailbox.....

PS.  I do not have to paint my mailbox, it has been up on the house (right on the brick like yours) for about 5 years now. And the windows are framed in white.

@ScarletDove - Thanks so much for all these great details! And I definitely appreciate knowing that you haven't had to paint your white mailbox for at least five years.

@loriqvc  Lori, here is my mailbox, it is all white, no brass or nickel panel with the eagle.  It is powdercoated metal, you can get a lock insert for it....it is a Gaines.  I paid much less, searched on internet for the best price once I found what I wanted....  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gaines-Mfg-Wall-Mount-Solid-White-Mailbox/333204977Gaines Mfg Wall Mount Solid White Mailbox

Gaines Mfg Wall Mount Solid White Mailbox

$269.00$269.00

Gaines Mfg Wall Mount Solid White Mailbox

$269.00$269.00

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter  That would be something I probably would do also if it still is in good condition.   One almost never gets the quality today of items from years ago.

@Allegheny and @CelticCrafter - I'm actually looking to purchase a new mailbox because the current one is beyond cleaning and repairs after so many decades; regardless of the color choice, a new box is necessary. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When we had our own mailbox it was the rural type out at the end of the driveway. My DH made us one that looked like a little house. Our house was sand color with forest green trim so he painted the mailbox to match. He even cut up a roof shingle left over from reroofing the house and made a matching shingle roof for the mailbox.With occasional repainting it has lasted many years. We had it about 10 years and the new owners still have it  8 years later- though they repainted it chartreuse to match the trim color they painted the house.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove - Thanks for sharing your mailbox and all those details. I really just want something simple with no words and no images/decorations; luckily, that description fits most of the mailboxes on the market once I make up my mind about the color. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When we had our own mailbox it was the rural type out at the end of the driveway. My DH made us one that looked like a little house. Our house was sand color with forest green trim so he painted the mailbox to match. He even cut up a roof shingle left over from reroofing the house and made a matching shingle roof for the mailbox.With occasional repainting it has lasted many years. We had it about 10 years and the new owners still have it  8 years later- though they repainted it chartreuse to match the trim color they painted the house.

@151949 - That sounds nice. I'm actually in one of the few neighborhoods in our city that doesn't require street-side mailboxes, so I'm going to enjoy the convenience while I still can!

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949 - That sounds nice. I'm actually in one of the few neighborhoods in our city that doesn't require street-side mailboxes, so I'm going to enjoy the convenience while I still can!

Where we live now, in Florida , we have what are called gang boxes. 8 locking mailboxes with a slot to put mail to be sent and 2 boxes where they put packages that don't fit in the mailslot.We have to walk up about 4 houses to get to our mailbox. DH usually stops for our mail when he goes for his daily bike ride.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Allegheny and @CelticCrafter - I'm actually looking to purchase a new mailbox because the current one is beyond cleaning and repairs after so many decades; regardless of the color choice, a new box is necessary. Smiley Happy

loreqvc, keep the old one and use it in the back yard for a arts and crafts project.  I should like to keep it for sentemental reasons, being origional to the house.  With the right finish, a white mailbox should be easy to keep whiped down.  I would choose a larger, showy box rather than a smaller one.  I hope you find the perfect one,  SC

Respected Contributor

I would go with white, matches the white door. Nice keeping with one color for a pulled together look. 

-Texas Hill Country-