Esteemed Contributor

Re: white mailbox - yea or nay?

@software wrote:

You will probably have to clean it a couple of times a year and maybe re-paint it yearly.

Not a big job.

@software - I definitely clean my mailbox fairly regularly, but I would like to avoid painting if possible; I've never painted the black one, and it has held up pretty well over its long tenure.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for white...every new addition to a house makes such a big difference...even if it's not a big item... such as a mailbox Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a red brick rambler/cottage built in the early 50's, it had a black mailbox, I removed it years ago and put up different charming baskets (natural color and white--looked wonderful when the paint started fading and chipping) with a plaid/checkered bow on it, changing out the bows with the seasonal wreath colors....the USPS did not like the basket because it did not meet the USPS requirements to receive mail so I had to bite the bullet and get a mailbox.  This was a dilemna since I hated most of the typical mailboxes and I am extremely picky about design, color and balance at the front entrance.....I scoured the internet for designs and settled on a WHITE metal mailbox.  It looks to me like something you would find in Williamsburg, it is not a rectangle, it is a square and I love it the longer I have it and it looks great from the street.  The front storm door is the thinner white frame, full glass, front door is terracotta red, and there is a beautiful wide white moulding around the front door.  The WHITE mailbox is terrific!  I still add a bow on the mailbox so I can keep my little special touches on the mailbox.....

PS.  I do not have to paint my mailbox, it has been up on the house (right on the brick like yours) for about 5 years now. And the windows are framed in white.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc, I live in an older home built in the 60's, it is red brick with white trim ranch style.  When we moved here 20 yrs ago, we had an old black mailbox that I replaced with a brass one, then later decided to paint it white, which goes with all my white trim, shutters columns, and front door!

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@software wrote:

You will probably have to clean it a couple of times a year and maybe re-paint it yearly.

Not a big job.

@software - I definitely clean my mailbox fairly regularly, but I would like to avoid painting if possible; I've never painted the black one, and it has held up pretty well over its long tenure.

White is not black

Painting is not a big deal, hope you don't need to

Super Contributor

I too live in an all brick house about the same age & I replaced the black mail box & put a white one next to the front door which the storm door is white & the window are white. I also have an American Flag higher up over the mail box & I have gotten many compliements from strangers & neighbors how great it looks. I ordered the mail box from Whitehall Products, item # 16013. It is a bit pricey but the look is stunning on the house.It is big enough to hold a lot of mail & since I get a lot of catalogs I have no problemwith the box not being big enough. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@loriqvc, I live in an older home built in the 60's, it is red brick with white trim ranch style.  When we moved here 20 yrs ago, we had an old black mailbox that I replaced with a brass one, then later decided to paint it white, which goes with all my white trim, shutters columns, and front door!

@Hooty = Thank you for your reply—those are great details!

Esteemed Contributor

@Diamonds22 wrote:

I too live in an all brick house about the same age & I replaced the black mail box & put a white one next to the front door which the storm door is white & the window are white. I also have an American Flag higher up over the mail box & I have gotten many compliements from strangers & neighbors how great it looks. I ordered the mail box from Whitehall Products, item # 16013. It is a bit pricey but the look is stunning on the house.It is big enough to hold a lot of mail & since I get a lot of catalogs I have no problemwith the box not being big enough. 

@Diamonds22 - Thank you! I will definitely check out that mailbox option; I have been fairly surprised at how much a nice mounted mailbox costs, but hopefully it's something that will earn its keep. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

I live in a red brick rambler/cottage built in the early 50's, it had a black mailbox, I removed it years ago and put up different charming baskets (natural color and white--looked wonderful when the paint started fading and chipping) with a plaid/checkered bow on it, changing out the bows with the seasonal wreath colors....the USPS did not like the basket because it did not meet the USPS requirements to receive mail so I had to bite the bullet and get a mailbox.  This was a dilemna since I hated most of the typical mailboxes and I am extremely picky about design, color and balance at the front entrance.....I scoured the internet for designs and settled on a WHITE metal mailbox.  It looks to me like something you would find in Williamsburg, it is not a rectangle, it is a square and I love it the longer I have it and it looks great from the street.  The front storm door is the thinner white frame, full glass, front door is terracotta red, and there is a beautiful wide white moulding around the front door.  The WHITE mailbox is terrific!  I still add a bow on the mailbox so I can keep my little special touches on the mailbox.....

PS.  I do not have to paint my mailbox, it has been up on the house (right on the brick like yours) for about 5 years now. And the windows are framed in white.

@ScarletDove - Thanks so much for all these great details! And I definitely appreciate knowing that you haven't had to paint your white mailbox for at least five years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Diamonds22 - It turns out that the Whitehall mailbox you mentioned is one I had been considering; my only real issue is that it has "U.S. Mail" printed on it. I know that's not a huge deal, but I would really prefer to have a plain, word-free mailbox (there are others that have "mail" or "post" on them that I've passed on as well). I also don't really want any decorations on the box, such as fleur de lis or medallions or floral motifs, and the white boxes seem to end up having a lot of that kind of thing on them. Ah, first world problems... Smiley Wink