Esteemed Contributor

white mailbox - yea or nay?

[ Edited ]

I am looking at options for a new mailbox and would love to get feedback from people who have white ones attached to your homes to see what you think about the overall look and durability over time.

In case you're curious, I have a red brick rambler and the mailbox will be attached to the brick next to the front door, replacing a black one that I believe has been there since the house was built in the 1950s. I'm currently swapping my black metal scroll storm doors for simpler white screen doors, so I'm trying to decide whether I should get a coordinating white box or just a new black box. (I'm not necessarily planning to get anything fancy unless I happen to find something amazing, so the mailbox will be more functional than fashion statement. Smiley Happy )

Thanks in advance for your input...

Respected Contributor

Re: white mailbox - yea or nay?

@loriqvc ~ Hi!  I think the white mailbox will compliment your new white screen door.  That is what I'd be inclined to do.  

Honored Contributor

I'd go with white for coordinating with the new screen door. Are your windows framed in white? If so that would be perfect.

Honored Contributor

Yea for the white mailbox. That would be my choice.

Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@loriqvc ~ Hi!  I think the white mailbox will compliment your new white screen door.  That is what I'd be inclined to do.  

Thanks, @AKgirl2!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'd go with white for coordinating with the new screen door. Are your windows framed in white? If so that would be perfect.

@Mominohio - Thanks for your feedback. Eventually, my windows will be framed in white; that's a project for next fall. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Yea for the white mailbox. That would be my choice.

Thank you, @OKPrincess!

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe wait until the new screen doors are installed and see what a black box looks like with them, then decide.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

You will probably have to clean it a couple of times a year and maybe re-paint it yearly.

Not a big job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Maybe wait until the new screen doors are installed and see what a black box looks like with them, then decide.

@Sweetbay magnolia - Thanks. It seems like it will be fine with either color—that was one of the reasons I thought I'd come to the forum and see if anyone who had experience with white mailboxes attached to their homes had any input about whether the white might be harder to maintain or whether it showed wear more quickly. It looks nice, but is it worth it? That's really my question. The black one I have is really weathered, but again, it has been around for decades. Smiley Happy