Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I went shopping for a washing machine today - There are just 2 of us but having a king size bed requires a larger capacity machine, especially when washing the bedspreads.  I am so afraid I'll purchase one to small for my situation.  Maytag has one that is 4.3 cubic feet inside which might - or might not be the size I need...who knows!?!   Some have agitators, which I really liked from years past but I don't see how a big king size bedspread would fit in there.  Any tips friends??

Honored Contributor

Re: washing machine sizes, etc

@sarahpanda 

Consumer Reports suggest a 4.5 depending on the weight and fill of your comforter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine is  a top loader 3.5, I haveno trouble washing king linens or my king comforter. My machine has agitator. 

Esteemed Contributor

i wash king sized quilts and comforters in a 3.6 cu ft machine, with a center agitator.

I just try to balance it with another item or two, but nothing too heavy when wet.  Works like a champ for me.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I searched washer sizes when I bought my last one. I bought a 4.5, top loader, stainless interior, etc. that I love.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I went shopping for a washing machine today - There are just 2 of us but having a king size bed requires a larger capacity machine, especially when washing the bedspreads.  I am so afraid I'll purchase one to small for my situation.  Maytag has one that is 4.3 cubic feet inside which might - or might not be the size I need...who knows!?!   Some have agitators, which I really liked from years past but I don't see how a big king size bedspread would fit in there.  Any tips friends??

@sarahpanda Two months ago, when we were shopping for a new washer and dryer, we looked at the Maytag 4.3 three different times. I decided against it for the same reason you mentioned.  We have a king sized bed and it didn’t look to me that the sheets would fit. 

We then bought the Maytag XL and they delivered it, but there were issues with the dryer so I refused delivery on both. 

So we looked at the 4.3 again.  Still looked too small to me.

We ended up getting the large LG.  This thing is mammoth but I love it. I felt like Goldilocks. Everything we looked at either looked too big or too small. No in between. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

In my previous home I had a LG XL washer that was a top load without an agitator. It worked well to wash my king sized comforter and quilts. I liked it because the bulky item cycle filled the tub to wash these items. It worked well for me over the three years I lived there. I would buy another like it. 

I moved and the washer in my current home I have a Maytag front loader that I think it's 4.3 and that works, but I don't  think it washes as well as my top loader. 

My sheets work well in the 4.3, but i only do one set at a time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda , I just did some research on washing machines and I think 4.5 was the smallest size recommended for king.  The wording was ‘at least’ 4.5.  Good luck,  Shopping for appliances is tedious.  LM

Respected Contributor

We have a GE 4.2 cf washer.  King size sheets, blankets, quilts, etc. have no problem with them. Stainless steel interior with a full agitator. Just keep the load balanced as with all your washings. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have king and queen size bedding. I have multiple types of comforters, quilts and coverlets. The agitator system was a nightmare for me with the cotton quilts, etc. I went with a front loader because it was the size I needed for the king size bedding. At first, I wasn't keen on the front loader style but the first time I had to pull out that king size bedding from the washer to put in the dryer I was so pleased that I wasn't standing on my tiptoes and struggling with the weight of it. Mine have a self leveling feature which helps with this bedding. No more walking across the laundry room floor or trying to get to the maching before tipping.
Remember that you need enough space for the item and the water to circulate and saturate. I'm glad I went with the larger front loader.