Honored Contributor

At home i have a dish washer - I run it after dinner each evening. Those few dishes that can't go in the DW I do by hand, dry and put them away. I then clean the dish drainer and dry it and put it under the sink. HOWEVER, here at camp I have to hand wash all the dishes - I generally just leave them in the drainer to dry and put them away later. It seems more acceptable , as long as they are washed, to allow them to self dry here. I guess it just feels more casual here, after all it is a camper not a house. 

Do you wash, dry and put everything away after each meal or allow God to dry them and put them away later?

Honored Contributor

I only run the dishwasher a few times a week.  I do not put pans, knives or cooking utensils in dishwasher.  I hand wash those and let dry naturally.  

Honored Contributor

I live alone so I don't make many dishes (plus I don't cook anymore).

I put dirty dishes (after rinsing very carefully) into the dishwasher and after a time or two I run the 'rinse' on it.  It lasts 8 minutes.

I let them airdry.  However, my dishwasher and my daughter's (several friends) also commented that after a few years they noticed the racks beginning to have little rust spots on them.  Mine now will have to be replaced.

The stupid racks are very expensive.  My son-in-law just bought a new dishwasher.  He said the rust is caused by not drying the dishes and closing up the dishwasher.  

My friends told me two different repair people told them the same things.  I guess if you leave the dishwasher open after you wash the dishes it would take care of that.

Valued Contributor

If I wash them they dry in the dish rack.

Honored Contributor

There are only two of us so I tend to hand wash everything and let it sit in the rack to dry. They dry fast on their own. My dish rack was expensive but that thing is the bomb! Who knew a dish rack could be so awesome, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I put dirty dishes (after rinsing very carefully) into the dishwasher and after a time or two I run the 'rinse' on it.  It lasts 8 minutes.

I let them airdry.  However, my dishwasher and my daughter's (several friends) also commented that after a few years they noticed the racks beginning to have little rust spots on them.  Mine now will have to be replaced.

The stupid racks are very expensive.  My son-in-law just bought a new dishwasher.  He said the rust is caused by not drying the dishes and closing up the dishwasher.  

My friends told me two different repair people told them the same things.  I guess if you leave the dishwasher open after you wash the dishes it would take care of that.

I have a dishwasher with plastic racks, I do not get rust.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I have a dishwasher with plastic racks, I do not get rust.

I let the DW run through the entire cycle and so it does dry the dishes, and even my inexpensive builder grade GE has not rusted as yet.

Respected Contributor

Do not have a dishwasher so everything is washed and dried by hand and put up and away immediately.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

The only dishwasher we have is me! And I can't stand to see dishes drying on the counter or in the sink. So most of the times I wash, dry and put away immediately. My kitchen just isn't 'clean' to me if there are things out of place. Doing the dishes includes getting them completely put away, the soap,sponge, towels etc all put up afterward and all other things I got out to prepare and clean up put back away. 

Respected Contributor

Just the two of us, we only run the dishwasher 2 or 3 times a week. I don't put pans or knives in the dishwasher. Those get handwashed---sometimes they get put away the next day, or--in the case of pans--they go straight from the drainer to the stove to be used again. The only time I make sure the dishdrainer is empty and put away is if we are having company. Doesn't bother me at all for it to sit on the counter with a few things on it. I don't use a "rack", just the drainboard. It's translucent so doesn't really stand out!