Honored Contributor

Hubs and I went to our house that got smashed by a tree last year, to do a walk thru and mark all the boo-boos in the paint job---well it now looks like the inside has blue tape measels. What a horribe job!! they worked on painting-----for almost 3 weeks--- really????--and still is streaky and dinged up and sloppy. Cabinets have paint on them, the staircast rails and posts are spattered with sheetrock dust and over spray, they didn't even patch the tiny holes on the walls from where I hung decor--just painted over them------ I am just bummed by all this---my house is not a fancy place--basic big box with small boxes,( the rooms), inside. I can paint better than that. Just makes me CRAZY . Contractor says good painters are hard to find--oh pleeazeeeee!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl I hope you didn't pay the full amount until after your did the inspection.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl , that is ridiculous and disappointing I am sure.  As an non professional painter...I do a better job than you described!

Hopefully all issues are handled properly and quickly!

I wonder how they will get the paint off of your cupboards without making it worse??

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear that, @wagirl.  In a small way, we had a similar disappointment when our kitchen cabinets were painted.  The painters ignored the instructions for the super-durable Benjamin Moore "Cabinet Coat" paint we had ordered--  and because they didn't paint it according to the special instructions, it has chipped and been less durable probably than regular paint!  Looking more and more disreputable.  I wish we had done it ourselves...

Hope you can come to some agreement with the contractor regarding the terrible job they did.

Respected Contributor

Re: update on my house reno

[ Edited ]

When I bought this house it was new and they painted it (prob sprayed more like it) that builder white color they use.  They told us not to paint until a year was up bc they could redo sheetrock issues that we might find.  Myself and neighbors didn't listen and all painted - - -  and glad we had bc you could see all the wall imperfections once we did.  When it was white it wasn't visible.

I decided to hire local painters to fix all the spackling and wall issues and they did a phenomenal job, were cheap and I've since used them for other things. 

ETA:  even though I went through kind of what you did - it led me to the fantastic paint company I found.  

Honored Contributor

My painter is reasonable. There were a few tiny touch ups we did, but I realize things look different depending on the amount of light so I still considered it an adequate job. You're sounds horrible.

Honored Contributor

Just do it yourself! My house is only 5 years old. We hated how it was painted inside! Terrible! We are slowly. room by room, repainting. At least now it will be done perfect and correctly. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor
Wish painting was all I needed...am still trying to get siding replaced outside that blew away in a bad storm. Who knew nobody does siding anymore. I have great painters. But they take forever....good news is they are so meticulous you would never know they had been there. All they leave behind is a beautiful painted room. As long as I am willing to wait three weeks for a bedroom to be finished...
Esteemed Contributor

Your contractor is an idiot - hope u didn't pay in full for the paint job!!!! Just take the painter to court if he won't settle for less money. I'm finding the BEST service people on nextdoor dot com - and a few on Yelp. At least my neighbors recommend people they've worked with.

Last week, I hired a man who's a licensed contractor (he works with his brother) - and they replaced my upstairs hall bathroom bathtub, wall lsurround, shower door, showerhead -- they replaced my ceiling fan in downstairs bedroom with a new, larger one with lights -- and they painted my large upstairs bedroom.

I've used this man twice last year to paint a smaller bedroom/bath - and do lots of other  jobs. All perfect - and his price was very reasonable. I also referred him to many people on nextdoor - who were also happy with his work.

Trusted Contributor

So sorry @wagirl, hope you get everything resolved.

For those that stated you purchased new homes and hated the workmanship as every room was terrible and needed to be repainted, I never would of accepted the house! One reason you purchase a new home is to have everything perfect and not have hassles.  You should not have to start off in a new home and already be doing diy projects!