Respected Contributor

Since scam and robo calls have been around for so long and are increasing, people must actually still be falling for the scams.  There has been so much information passed around and discussion and news reporting regarding the scams you would thnk most people would be aware and not be taken in by these jerks.   Evidently they must get alot of activity from the calls or they would die out you would think.

Honored Contributor

The last time I got a telemarketing call was about 10 years ago when I still had a landline phone. Since I dropped that and use my cell phone 24/7 now I haven't received one! Not any! I still don't understand why, in this day and age, why anyone would even want a landline phone when all I hear are complaints about their unwanted calls. smh

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2  I keep a landline service for the 911 feature.  I tried calling 911 on a cell phone once at the scene of an accident and I was put on hold for several minutes and ended up with an operator at the other end of the state. 

Especially for my elderly parents, I want them to have the ability to dial 911, even if they aren't able to respond to questions since those precious seconds/minutes could make all the difference.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/911-wireless-services

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Yes, when we had a land line the calls were relentless.  They'd even call late into the evening, like 9 p.m.  I was "supposed" to be on a no call list, but that didn't stop it.  When we moved to another state, we did not get a land line.  I do not get any of those calls to my cell phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees I am on The Do Not Call List and it has not helped me one bit, but I still report all the numbers, and the same number keep calling me over and over and over, just this morning I received my 17th number from our area code, I now have 17 numbers blocked just from this area code.  At this rate I am going to fill up that call blocker in no time, but I am glad to hear that the Do Not Call List Works for You, just now I received yet another Spam call today, it is only 1:05 p.m.  and this is my 2nd all today, we are on a roll!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee I do not even have voice mail on my landline, or an answering machine,  maybe I chould invest in one and have that screeching noise, that is a good one!

Honored Contributor

l did away years ago with my landline at home since all I got was telemarketer calls and have never regretted it.  I did just get one here at the office moments ago from the now what used to be "Ma Bell" wanting me to switch from one provider to them.  I asked him "what are you looking at?  He replied and I said I left them two years ago after 15 years and went somewhere else.  If they are going to call then at least should try to keep up.  Said no way was going to change again anytime soon.  You could tell he felt a bit like a bozo for bad mouthing a company in his original spill.  It was funny.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 I m up to 3 calls today alone, and it is just 3:00 p.m., I am about ready to answer the next one and use my large vocabulary of swear words for the next one that calls.  My husband has the cell phone and he gets about 8 spam calls a day, I guess we are the lucky ones!

Honored Contributor

We go through spurts like this.  Luckily we signed up for nomorobo so with most of the calls, the phone rings once and they are cut off.

I also started getting a number of solicitation calls on my cell phone.  Only the city shows up and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  Many of them I blocked immediately.  1 of them continues to call that I blocked and my cellphone shows me the call was made.   Today I tried to call the number and got a recording that it wasn't in service.  LOL

The more we give out our cell numbers, the more people are going to get them and they end up in the wrong hands and we get unwanted calls. 

I am signed up for the Do Not Call List but IMO it is a joke.  I wouldn't bother again with it. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The last time I got a telemarketing call was about 10 years ago when I still had a landline phone. Since I dropped that and use my cell phone 24/7 now I haven't received one! Not any! I still don't understand why, in this day and age, why anyone would even want a landline phone when all I hear are complaints about their unwanted calls. smh

The more you give out your cell number, the more likely it is that number will end up in the hands of scammers, telemarketers, etc. and you are going to start getting the calls on your cell phone.  I get them on my cell. 

There are plenty of reasons to have a landline phone and they've been explained a number of times.