Honored Contributor

I have posted on here many times about the amount of telemarketing calls I get everyday.  I am signed up to every thing there is out there to stop the calls and none of them work.

I can block the calls on my phone and I do...at least 7 to 8 calls a day.  I can tell that they are still calling, ( the calls are listed on my IPad) but they can ’t get through.  It is annoying to have  to carry a phone around with me at all times so that I can block the calls immediately.

Most of the calls started this past summer, 6 months before my DH was eligible for Medicare.

i was happy to see that the state of PA does prosecute these callers if they get enough complaints.  Just this week a company got fined for their illegal activity. 

Respected Contributor
So many such calls on landline- the reason I keep it! Starting to get more on cell. If it’s important they will leave message. Problem enters when it’s local and I sorry about parents and kids. Still, depend on message. Otherwise I let grandson babble on to waste their Time.
Honored Contributor

Re: tele marketing calls

[ Edited ]

One thing that has helped cut many of the calls for me is to never let the calls go to my answering machine. If they know there is an answering machine then they know someone lives there. So when the phone rings then I click it on/off before it goes to my voice-mail as if it was a disconnected number.  And if I'm not here when the calls come in then my answering machine has my greeting set to sound like a screeching fax machine...you know what that sounds like.Woman LOL Makes the callers think they have dialed a fax number and they usually never call again. My friends know to leave a message when they hear that 'fax' noise.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I have a land line but I only have it for my fax machine.  I have never given out that phone number to anyone but I get tons of telemarketing calls on that line.  The names of the companies and the phone numbers show up on my tv screen and I estimate that I get about 30 calls a day.   

Valued Contributor

I too have  a land line and have blocked numbers that call more than a couple of times.

Tonight though I got a shock when the call came through from J#E#S#U#S.  Not kidding.

Number included.

I did think about answering, but resisted.

Esteemed Contributor

Do Not Call List does not work for  me.  And I can only block so many calls no matter what system I use.  My comcast allows for 25 only.  Perhaps they changed that but that is all I could block.  I have other Apps that block but the scammers seem to be ahead of the game.  

Respected Contributor

wrote:

ok I still have a home phone and I want to say within one hour I must have had 20 calls? what is going on here why are they calling me? Do not pick up. Some of them are even in my area? ok I am buying a call blocker so this will stop. Does this happen to anyone else?

I used the do not call list and I still got many calls a week.  I finally got rid of my land line and only use a cell phone now.  Best thing I ever did. 

Regular Contributor

Care Bears, thank you so much for that info from the Facebook post.  Hubs insists that we answer phone when it rings.  We have been answering it today as a radio announcer would and we are having sooo much fun!  I don't know if this will cut the calls down but not answering wasn't stopping them either--they just kept calling.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr  I also added nomorobo to my elderly parents phone service.  If it rings once only, they know not to even both picking it up.  Honestly, their phone service promotion ended and she was happy to pay more just for having that "free" service.

I also have it on my landline and it cuts down on the calls.  I also have video service where the phone number shows on my television when the phone rings, so I know that the number isn't one that I recognize and is another telemarketing company.

If you have the opportunity to get the nomorobo service, I highly recommend it.  It's free and I rarely ever get a telemarketing call that can get through that service. 

Forgot to mention that they have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner), so if you have Spectrum, or Comcast cable, call them or create an on-line account, and sign up for the nomorobo for your account.  If you don't have them, I know you can keep your phone number when you switch services (at least my parents did from Verizon to Spectrum).  Just be sure to tell the new company that you want the same phone number and they figure out how you can keep your number and change phone providers.  The nomorobo service immediately stopped all those telemarketing calls within minutes. (I'm not kidding....it was within minutes) If the phone rings just once only, it was a telemarketer that nomorobo stopped.  If the phone rings more then once, it's a legitimate call.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get scam calls on my iphone sometimes and my number has been registered

on the Do Not Call list.

Scammers from overseas do not care if the number is on the list or not.

I do not pick up any unknown numbers, I report it then block the number.

It's very important NOT to pick up scammer's calls.

Don't let them know your number is actually working.