Honored Contributor

I've been seeing more of it lately.  I turned off the voicemail on my landline a long time ago and have no plan to turn it on again.

It doesn't much matter anymore what programs you use.  I have nomorobo,  different things on my phone account, and block numbers as they show up, and still get a few calls a day.

I'm almost ready to just turn the phones off again.

At least I have 'do not disturb' on my cell phone so that only people in my contacts list can ring through or leave texts.    That, alone, is invaluable.

I cannot even express how much I HATE this stuff.  It's just wrong but too much money goes into too many pockets to put a stop to it.  When they started the do not call thing there were so many exclusions and now with them being able to just make up numbers that don't exist, it's impossible to avoid unless you just get rid of the phone.

One that came this morning never even had a number on it.  It just kept saying 'incoming call' until it cut off.   I didn't cut it, so eithe nomorobo or the phone service cut it.   

Between this and people coming to your door to solicit you, EVEN THOUGH you have 'no soliciting', 'no trespassing', and I even have more specific things I printed up and put on the door, just ires me almost more than anything else.   

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a post on Facebook yesterday, claiming that if you answer the phone saying you are a radio station and that the caller is live on air, telemarketers usually hang up, I think I will just stay with if I do not know the number, do not answer.  Family and friends know that if I do not answer at home then to call my husband in a matter of an emergency, should they happen to call from an unfamiliar phone. I hate when they call in wee hours of the morning or night, the ones that freak me out is when it shows our number on the caller ID, I called the phone company and asked how this is even possible, they went into a long drawn out explanation, so I said "I should just not answer" and he said, that would be advisable.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Sure we get a few calls a week.

Are you registered on the do not call list?

Go to www.donotcall.gov

The govt. do not call list is a joke.  I think I get more calls since I registered my landline on it.  I've even gotten a few calls on my cell.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

We have the same problem. The do not call registry is useless.

So many of the telemarketers have software that shows a fake name and number on caller the i.d. 

I only answer if I know the caller.

I agree! Many years ago we registered on the Do Not Call List and it seemed to help, but they say you have to re register.

So many months ago, I did it again, and it has stopped nothing. It was a waste of time to do it this time around.

Respected Contributor

I had my landline for 10 years and never received telemarketing calls.  Then, suddenly, I started to get two or three calls per day.  I had to change my service to include caller ID, so that I could avoid answering those calls.  I get them on my cell phone, too.  I ignore them.  I used to block them, but now that the robocallers spoof local phone numbers, the blocking is sort of useless.

Esteemed Contributor

I was getting upwards of 10 calls per day on my cell phone. One day, I just lost it - I wrote a letter to the FCC explaining the situation and that the Do Not Call registry was a joke. 

You can also try contacting your landline company and see if you can send a letter of complaint to them as well.

Do Not Call does nothing! 

Esteemed Contributor

Hey, everybody, I was just suggesting the do not call list.

I honestly do not get that many calls a week, maybe 2 or 3.

So yes,It works for me!

Honored Contributor

The Do Not Call list doesn't work.  If you want something that does work, and is free, go to the Nomorobo site and see if their service is available to you.  It works like a charm, filtering out all those annoying robo calls.  I've had it about a year, and my phone service is Verizon.  I put it on my parents' phone last month and their provider is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner).

Honored Contributor

Nomorobo does not work with my VoIP service. Have no idea why. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Nomorobo does not work with my VoIP service. Have no idea why. 

That's a shame.  I can't help with that, maybe a call to your carrier would help (if you haven't done that already).  From the Nomorobo site:

"And in principle, it should be able to work with any carrier. All it requires is that the carrier support simultaneous ring, so incoming calls can ring both your line and Nomorobo's line at the same time. In practice, unfortunately, that feature is currently available only on VoIP carriers, and not even all of those."