Respected Contributor

Re: speed queen 2018 washers

I'm'not a big fan of the newer appliances and their reliability.  Having said that, my mom had a Speed Queen washer and drier for 40 years and they were still going strong when I sold her house.  Hope the newer ones are even half that good.

New Contributor

I have the Maytag mvwp575gw, and it is made differently than the other Maytag washers that are available through the big box stores and can only be found at local appliance stores for now.  The Maytag has a dual agitator and commercial grade parts.  Compare the wash action of this Maytag against the wash action of the Speed Queen 2018.  There is a noticeable difference.  I can see where some would want the more gentle action of the SQ that will combine the wash action of a front loader with the full tub of a top loader, which also seems and looks like it would work well.  My choice, however, would have been between the SQ 2017 models because of the better wash action and this Maytag.  SQ changed a lot of other things with their new design too.  These are the features that made them stand out.  I would have preferred the mechanical controls, water level selection, and the tried and trusted name.  Since Whirlpool and Maytag have went to HE, the washers are NOT the same as in previous models years ago.  However, this Maytag mvwp575gw works great.  Our clothes come out clean and fresh.  It comes with a 5-year parts and labor warranty.  The parts may be easier to find later for DIY repairs or to have a local service repair person work on them.  

BTW, a rotor for my front loader was less than $100.  I only had to remove the back plate to access the part that is held in place by a bolt.  Fixed it myself using some blue locktite when I put the new one on.

Respected Contributor

What sold me is they use this brand in Laundromats. I was tired of 8 years replacing. My old one was 25 years old now  they make machines to be replaced. I purchased in March and now  am alone so do only 3 .loads or so a week. It will probably outlast  me. I use the Eco cycle and Delicate for hand was the most. Happy with SQ.

Respected Contributor

@ Georg
Is your model pre-2018?
Respected Contributor

The "Law" people are referring to does set guidelines for those little automatic fill settings, but manufacturers can still put a manual fill or feature to turn the autofill off.  The EPA bet that most people would just do auto because it is easier for them; they were right.  When will people go read laws for themselves instead of believing what they read on Facebook, some "person" tells them, or biased news reporting.  Go read the source for yourselves. 

There is only one thing that comes from the horse's behind.  I'd rather listen to the horse's mouth.