Super Contributor

sitting room - do you have one?

I have two friends who never take us into the living room to sit.  It's always in the back rec room.  They leave the front living room as a showcase.  

sitting room.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: sitting room - do you have one?

I only have a living room. That's where people who visit here can sit. No "sitting room".

I don't have a gift closet, either. 

Not feeling deprived. But my house is only 1,064 sq ft. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the day that was the style.

I had a realative w/a pink kitchen and she never used it. If you visited you HAD to sit in the basement on lawn chairs.

Honored Contributor

My house was built in the 70's...so I have a living room, family room and a dining room on the 1st floor.

Living and dining rooms are rarely used.  Our family room is quite cozy and warm and attached to the kitchen.  When we have people over that is where we entertain.

The living room is decorated but the only place to sit is a chair and a half - I use it to read when my husband is watching a ball game or something on TV I am not interested in.

When I was young my best friend had a room like you posted, we were never allowed in the living room.

Honored Contributor

I have a living room & a family room.  We try to sit in the living room once in a while but mostly sit in the familyroom.

Respected Contributor

I'm guessing no one has gone in for 40 years  - note: princess phone 

Honored Contributor

i put my Peloton in the living room that way I can look out of the window

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a den and LR everyone gathers in the den as it's off the kitchen - where most hang out.

If entertaining  my dining room has sliders (which is the wall) when fully opened go directly onto lanai.  I open them and people are free to use any room. 

Spouse has big tv in den area so of course, most the men gather in there.

Respected Contributor

I have a living room in front of the house on left side as you walk thru my front door (dining room on right).  It's never used to be honest, except for the Christmas tree and opening presents.  We're always in the family room where the TV is.  My sitting room is in my master bedroom.

Honored Contributor

My aunt did that.  They lived in several different houses, but there was always a nice room that no one used.  Its furniture was proper and Victorian - didn't look comfortable.  They usually had a family room where the kids hung out in front of the TV.

It always seemed strange to have a room that no one could use.  I guess I could ask her now as she's still living, but I'm not that close to her anymore.