Esteemed Contributor

Re: sitting room - do you have one?

The house I grew up was like that.  We had a living room which is where the TV was located so that was our main space.  If company came, everyone sat in the living room.  The sitting room was furnished but never used.  I would sometimes set up my Barbies in there and play all day.

My home is very small and I only have a living room.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have a living room and a family room on one end of the great room.  We use both.

To me, a sitting room is what my family used to call a "parlor."  Kind of an antiquated term and concept.

Honored Contributor

@bigLou wrote:

I have two friends who never take us into the living room to sit.  It's always in the back rec room.  They leave the front living room as a showcase.  

sitting room.jpg

Does it bother you that you never go in their living room?  Is there back room/rec room gross or something?

I've had formal living rooms and dining rooms and loved them.  They stayed *put* all the time.  The furniture was beautiful and I had gorgeous carpeting.

Now I don't have that option (and thus, no carpeting).  lol

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I would not do that to a two story.  Major headache.

Respected Contributor

I'd say you can "sit" anywhere in my house, although I wouldn't recommend the stove top or the sink!Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

We have an Open Concept home with a Great Room that is open to the Eat In Kitchen, so no "Sitting Room" for us either.....I do remember homes having them years ago, and they wre usually more formal.

Respected Contributor

Raising five children, I have always had a tv room and a living room in both a Victorian house and now a 1914 house. I never

liked a tv in the living room.

I liked having the living room to sit and talk or to read by the fireplace. My children grew up with antiques in the house and

were not wild. We even had a gold and white living room in

the 70's. We sat there when we had company.

Now, on one side of the living room is a desk and my computer.

We have a small kitchen in this house, so we always ate in the dining room.

Valued Contributor

Every room in my home is used and lived in, including my living room or "sitting room". I have an older home, updated, but no open concept anything, and I actually prefer it that way!