Honored Contributor

sewer pipe Leak from Bathroom upstairs through floor..... into Garage🙄

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Came home from grocery store....putting some things away....noticed a wet spot on garage counter....looked up....wet stain in ceiling around sewer pipes....coming from upstairs bathroom off bedroom.  Either the toilet or the shower.....will not know until a diagnostic is done.  No "sewer💩" smell... thank goodness

Great!😡. Now have to deal with this... the virus.....AND having someone in my home space to fix ( sure it will not be an easy fix)....  worry about having people breathing in my home...but has to be fixed.

The Only  Bright spot( if you can call it that)  is that I  have indoor and outdoor insurance on pipes and sewer lines that I purchased seperate from my  homeowners  insurance,  So, unless they deem  it not  covered for some reason, all of the  cost, other than the cost of diagnostic($249.00) will be covered in full. 

I will update the post as this continues....waiting for the call from ServCo...the plumbing people ,etc setup a time to come out. 

SEE MY UPDATE ON THIS POST  FURTHER ON DOWN THE THREAD.....

As Roseanne Roseannadanna famously said...It's Always Something!

Trusted Contributor

Re: sewer pipe Leak from Bathroom upstairs through floor..... into Garage🙄

It is unfortunate dear that there are many cons for us homeowners and one of them is perhaps the maintenance costs.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

I'd turn off the water to the commode for sure.

Good luck on getting it fixed.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

To either add to your worry or help............years ago had wet spot on familyroom ceiling - pretty large.  Turned out copper water pipe at the elbow developed a leak.  Skinny pipe and the cost to repair that  was low compared to fixing the ceiling.  Painter had to return and return and return to apply layers of compound - wait till it dried - apply another...........and finally paint.

Sorry you had a negative Saturday.

Honored Contributor

Been there, and I totally sympathize.   Wish you the best of luck (and patience).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

This happened to me once, the cause was roots invading the main sewer line causing a backup. My pipe was an older kind from the 1960s called Orangeburg pipe.  Had to get it replaced with a new modern PVC one.

Valued Contributor

What a pain. Hopefully it will not be a major hassel. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, Sorry for all your home problems.  Sometimes it seems like one thing after another.  I am happy for you there was not a terrible amount of damage.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@SeaMaiden, Sorry for all your home problems.  Sometimes it seems like one thing after another.  I am happy for you there was not a terrible amount of damage.  

@PamfromCT  Yes. I am grateful I caught it....damages....  and costs to repair.....will not be known until tomorrow.  I hope it is covered by my sewer pipe insurance.  I have carried it for a few years....will see if it does help when you need it. They always have so many things in the policy not covered along with what is covered. 

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:   servco came out....determined it was not a sewer pipe leak.....just the toilet seal on the base of the toilet  had failed... only cost $100 to fix! We will have  to repair a bit of drywall in the garage ceiling that was wet and torn down to see where the leak was coming from.

I guess we lucked out!🙂

I asked him if a seal failing and leaking with a toilet from the 1980's is typical. He said that no, actually it is really rare for a toilet seal to ever fail...even old toilet seals.