Honored Contributor

Re: "The stink!" have some couth, QVC, please! (Shoe-pourri)

On 1/27/2015 Celticrose said:
On 1/27/2015 stevieb said:

Seriously, it is what it is and yes, it's all part of life, but no, some things really don't require lengthy presentations on live TV... There is still at least a little something to be said for discretion.

Yep. At least she doesn't describe how bad her bowel movements smell like Killinger does when selling the toilet spray. Aaack!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Frequent Contributor

I agree with you OP, and I am a Jill fan. I have always admired her in so many ways, but she got way too excited about the spray last night. In fact, IMO, last nights show fell very flat with me. The adjustable candlesticks looked cheap, along with that porcelain ball. I wouldn't buy those in a dollar store. (Dear readers, if you bought those 2 things, please enjoy them. I just don't happen to like them.) Disappointing show. Oh well, I guess they can't all be winners!

Super Contributor

I liked Jill better when she was her old stern schoolmarm persona, much more formal and precise.

These last few years with her being so boisterous, flip, trying to be hip and cool -- it just doesn't suit her. Last night's exaggerated "peeeeee-youuuuuu" expressions and mugging to illustrate "bad smell" were just demeaning to her, if you ask me. She used to be rather elegant.

It's obvious that the management of QVC has exhorted all hosts to be louder, talk faster, hype more and really get as lowdown as they have to, to sell-sell-sell. I don't blame anyone for following the boss' orders. But Mary Beth hasn't degraded herself and nor have several of the other old-timers. Yet others seem to have taken the new marching orders to extreme.

Regular Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Cinder63 said:

Jill is peddling Shoe-pourri on her show with the most disgusting patter and exaggerated "pee-yew!" mugging and sounds -- going on and on about how "stinky" her children's feet are, and her own, and how her feet were sliding around in their own sweat on some outing.

I mean, come on! Is it really necessary to stoop to these levels and repeat the low-class term "stink" 300 times in a presentation, just to sell a few extra bottles of deodorizer? Now she's talking about stinky hampers and smelly towels and "bathroom odors." Dog bed, back of the car, your "yukky" walking shoes.

She actually just said if your bath towels are starting to smell funky, spray on some Shoe-pourri and "get one more day out of them before you have to do laundry."

Really, Jill? Seriously? Yes, I want to rub down with rank towels that have an extra layer of chemicals sprayed on them.

If this is all you are worrying about, you're lucky.

Respected Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Cinder63 said:
On 1/28/2015 RespectLife said:
On 1/28/2015 NC Bandwagon said:

I didn't watch the presentation, but in all seriousness, I don't think people smell that bad. They actually don't smell bad at all. To be honest, this Poo-Pourri stuff is sold as if people really are sloppy and dirty, and need all the help they can get.

I think Poo-Pourri would be better suited for a bathroom or bathrooms that's in an office or a hotel or a collage dorm. Someplace that gets a lot of traffic on a day-to-day basis. A regular person's home? Sorry, but in my opinion, peoples' house really just don't stink as bad as they make it sound.

And in my opinion, (and sorry if this sounds too snobbish) I think some of the hosts need to tone it down with making their husbands and children sound like dirty pigs who constantly leave of slop, mud and filth in their wake. Yes, kids may leave their toys on the floor, yes teens may forget to clean their room (for many days) and yes husbands may leave the toilet seat up, but it's not like they're just running around the house, throwing crumbs everywhere, pulling down the curtains and spraying chocolate sauce all over the walls and furniture. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Umm...totally disagree! DH makes Poo-Pouri a NECESSITY not a want in our house! LOL I swear sometimes he must have eaten road kill for lunch! No, my house doesn't stink on a regular basis...but the bathroom? Sorry but there are times when it is totally an unpleasant smell.

I purchased both Poo and Shoe Poo as stocking stuffers for a joke. We all laughed our heads off...yet everyone came back and said oh my goodness...this silly stuff works wonders! Why share odors with others in your home? My bathroom smells fresh all the time now!

DH and son are sports guys...they shower constantly after playing. Change their socks several times. Those sneakers? I don't care how clean you are but it was a welcomed product for them!

Their silly stories don't bother me in the least. I have more important things in the world to worry about than what Jill or any other host says when they are selling a product.

And I saw the youtube commercial too...I have very little sense of humor but that WAS funny!

If any of the men in my life ever created an odor in the bathroom, they had the sense to take care of it themselves either with a window, exhaust fan, lit matches or deodorizer or whatever, I am thankful not to know the details.

I certainly never have had to address the problem with anyone and just cringe that there are men out there who need "training" on this issue. What do they do, bound out and let the odor seep out into the hall?

A bottle of poo-pourie sitting in the bathroom is just another alternative (and nicer smelling one) to lighting a match.

Geesh, so many people offended by something that is just not that big a deal. Gotta love our "puritan" roots....

Super Contributor

I have never ever had a problem with my feet smelling, either had my husband, but when our boys were teenagers, the smell when they took their shoes off would knock you over. I would have given anything to have had that stuff then!

And yes, they smelled like corn chips!

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Cinder63 said:

I liked Jill better when she was her old stern schoolmarm persona, much more formal and precise.

These last few years with her being so boisterous, flip, trying to be hip and cool -- it just doesn't suit her. Last night's exaggerated "peeeeee-youuuuuu" expressions and mugging to illustrate "bad smell" were just demeaning to her, if you ask me. She used to be rather elegant.

It's obvious that the management of QVC has exhorted all hosts to be louder, talk faster, hype more and really get as lowdown as they have to, to sell-sell-sell. I don't blame anyone for following the boss' orders. But Mary Beth hasn't degraded herself and nor have several of the other old-timers. Yet others seem to have taken the new marching orders to extreme.

Never a fan of Jill's, but do agree that the rather forced 'hip' act doesn't play all that well... Yes, 'management' should simply let the hosts be who they are.

As for the pourri stuff, nothing wrong with selling it, having it or using it...... Just don't think it needs lengthy, sometimes graphic presentations about the subject of stench... Really... Has nothing to do with prudishness, but has more to do with a least a modicum of subtlety...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I am of the opinion these poo pourri products should not be aired on TV. QVC management is putting the hosts in no win situations because they are forced to describe bowel habits and smelly shoes in order to sell the merchandise. I think it should be carried only on qvc.com.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 annabella said: I am sure stylish adult diapers will be coming soon....they probably have a good viewer.market for it.

With Y-S-L printed all over them...

Honored Contributor

Poupourri (sic) uses enzymes to control the odor. It's not covering the odor. Geez. I have always heard there are people who don't think their sh*t stinks and they are posting here on the forum.