Honored Contributor

I was just reading that the "palm leaf" motif is becoming huge in design circles.

Goes without saying, trends come and go.  I tend to ignore most of them since to me, good design is timeless, and I go always with what I like, not what is fashionable.  It's also too expensive to be trendy with pricy home furnishings and fittings!

But I do like a good palm leaf.  Remember when banana leaves suddenly burst on the scene, there were banana leaf prints everywhere...

My "unconscious" motif in decorating is "birds".  It's surprising how I must be attracted to them, from fabric prints to the little bird handles on a French-inspired mirrored zinc  tray I have on my coffee table.  I have an Irish pottery owl, alabaster owl bookends, a pair of adorable chubby partridges,  an Asian-type framed print with a stylized quail, etc.

Do you have a motif that keeps recurring (consciously or unconsciously) in the way you decorate?    Flowers, certain shapes (curved vs. geometric for example), leaves, faces (as in portraits or photographs), certain textures (more rough than smooth, or more shiny than matte), mirrors, etc.?

I'd love to know. 

Honored Contributor

Anything that is a trend likely will NOT be found in my house!  LOL!!!

I go for classic pieces, lately with a cleaner more updated look.  Palm leaf is pretty, but I wouldn't use a lot of it.    Didn't we have an example on a staircase here a few days ago?  I liked it and said in that instance I'd use MORE of it if I remember!

Respected Contributor

I like beachy i.e. sea gulls shells etc.

Respected Contributor

The bird motif seems to sneak into my decor pretty often.  I think it started when I replaced my plain white dishes with the Lenox Chirp pattern.  I don't purposely set out to buy things with birds, but it seems like every room has a bird somewhere, probably not noticeable to a guest, but noticeable to me.

Valued Contributor

I have a large ( DH would say "vast" ) collection of items that look like fruits & veggies....platters, dishes, serving items, pitchures, etc.  I also love to paint them inas still-life  subject matter .

We have downsized now and many must be re-homed.  I am in process of doing this, but I loved being able to set a full table with them, especially at Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

Sea motif, more birds, fruits and vegs.   Neat!   I enjoy hearing this stuff...

Forgot to add I'm attracted, without even noticing it, to botanicals as well...

Honored Contributor

Trends belong on the accessories you add--but not to the basic design , IMO. Am wondering what I should do as far as colors, hard surfaces and paint when I need to choose for the major re- con from a tree falling on my house. Guess I need a designer------at least for advice.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your tree damage, @wagirl.  It could be very interesting to see where you'll go with your new decor.  You can't go wrong following the things that you love most.  Best of luck in the renovation ahead!

Respected Contributor

As long as the trend for every room  being grey and white goes away, I'll put up with most anything.   Really tired of that 'trend'.

Honored Contributor

Last week, all the removations shows did dark brown cabinets.  The week before, everyone was doing a color on the bottom cabinets (green or blue) and white on top.

Brushed brass/gold fixtures are coming back.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN