Honored Contributor

Re: "Social Sofa" in a Living Room

@Kachina624 wrote:
  • This room has many interesting objects so I wouldn't call it bland and dull, however the decorator made one unfortunate choice.  Once again we have the over-the-fireplace mirror reflecting the ceiling and fan.  A big faux pas as something like a piece of hanging sculpture would have been much more appropriate. 

@Kachina624 

That's an easy fix, Kachina624.  Put an interesting chandelier there that reflects light and makes another conversation piece.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Does anyone ever sit three on a sofa anyway? Unless it's really, really long? I mean, who likes middle seats at any time? 

@KaySD 

I agree with you.  As I alluded to in the past, I took a ConEd course of Interior Decorating at a university nearby.   I think it was two quarters, if memory serves, and one of the things I recall the instructor telling us that you should not let a sofa overwhelm an apartment or a small room when a loveseat will seat 2 and no more than 2 people ever can sit on a sofa and if they do it is very uncomfortable.

Valued Contributor

That sofa looks OK if you want to get off your feet for a minute, but not comfortable to sit there for any length of time.  I like to lean my head back & stretch out.

Honored Contributor

It's not my style, but an interesing room....the sofa doesnt appear to be very comfortable nor practical for conversation even for two people... And I agree with @Kachina624 about the mirror over the fireplace....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

Does anyone ever sit three on a sofa anyway? Unless it's really, really long? I mean, who likes middle seats at any time? 

@KaySD 

I agree with you.  As I alluded to in the past, I took a ConEd course of Interior Decorating at a university nearby.   I think it was two quarters, if memory serves, and one of the things I recall the instructor telling us that you should not let a sofa overwhelm an apartment or a small room when a loveseat will seat 2 and no more than 2 people ever can sit on a sofa and if they do it is very uncomfortable.

@Nonametoday 

I've heard that as well. I imagine families with shildren watching TV together might be a common exception--everyone close together in a row makes sense for that. Also for workshops or prayer groups or something in someone's living room, where every seat is needed.

On the other hand, I imagine that after all the physical distancing we've done the past year, we might even be LESS inclined to sit close to anyone on a sofa. 

I've never seen a sofa like the one pictured by the OP here. I searched for "social sofa" and found an interesting website whree people are building concrete sofas outdoors as casual meeting places within a neighborhood. The neighbors get together and cover it with mosaic tiles. Very creative!

Honored Contributor

The sofa is different but the room odesn't do it for me,  The wall art and decor do not have any appeal.

Honored Contributor

The style of the couch is kind of cool, but I don't care for the room in which it is pictured at all.  Nor do I care for the flame fabric of the couch.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

I heard concrete was going to be a new trend in homes this year.  Had no idea they would build sofas of concrete.  LOL.

I guess you could build one as long as a church pew and then several people could social-distance until the back ends became sore.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

What a gruesome room!

Honored Contributor

It is not necessarily my taste, but I like it! I like the color combos as well. It is very interesting and colorful!