Honored Contributor

"PRACTICAL" BIG LOTS GOODIES

[ Edited ]

images.jpg

Reporting back from Big Lots:   I've been noticing Broyhill bathroom accessories.  Was looking for heavy, substantial, handsome soap dishes and toothbrush holders, (am tired of metal ones that get rusty, fragile porcelain that breaks, or flimsy plastic that looks crummy).  Found the "Smithfield Khaki" collection.

OK, it's made of polyresin, but they've mixed sand into it, which seems to give it that organic, substantial feel.  They promote the line by extolling its "midcentury modern" look, but I knew that the instant I spotted it!  Love the clean lines, the neutral khaki/black color scheme, and the weight.  By the way, if you are wondering, the lotion dispenser works!  (I'm using mine for liquid soap in bathroom, though.)

images.jpg

Final clincher:  The men in my family love these!  We each have our own toothbrush holder, and share the lotion/liquid soap dispenser and the soap dish.  They rarely comment excitedly about my home decor finds (ha), but they were impressed!  These little items really "dress up" the bathroom.

I got an extra soap dish to use as a jewelry tray, or a little tray to put a votive candle on...

images.jpg

These are the things I get excited about these days...

In kitchen, I took home stagers advice, and switched to amber bottles for handsoap, dish soap, and room/counter spray.  She recommended these from Target:

AdtauwYstrlpv9L13J5awMLpsVghSMzZPZrFZ1ivOt4=.jpg

There's something about the combo of amber bottles with black pumps or sprays, that seems so "apothecary" or "spa-like".   Love the look!   So I checked out Big Lots too, and brought home these for my kitchen.  It's body wash, but I'm using as hand wash, and will refill when empty:

images.jpg

Also this room spray with essential oils-- when it's empty, I plan to put my counter spray in it.   Comes in orange mint or lavender citrus.

images.jpg

Amazon also has a nice selection of fillable amber bottles, in either plastic or glass, with the sleek black pumps and sprays.  If you get blank amber bottles, you can also order labels from Amazon, to label them with "Lotion",  or "Liquid Soap" or whatever.

Even if I needed no other excuse, just realized these look great for fall!   "Harvest" clean-up, anyone?

Edited to add:   I spoke too soon about the Khaki Lotion Dispenser--  hubby just reported it has leaked!  There is a tiny, "porous" area on the side, apparently.   Sigh.   Before putting anything of consequence in it, one should load it up with water first, I think, to make sure there are no flaws.  Disappointing!

Edited again the next day--  There's a customer review on the Big Lots web site that says she had the same problem of 'oozing from the side', and fixed it with crazy glue!   Now she loves!   Hubby thinks he can fix also and will try!

Honored Contributor

Re: "PRACTICAL" BIG LOTS GOODIES

I like all the practical goodies you found at Big Lots!!!!  I'm sorry about the imperfection found in the lotion dispenser.  These things happen and while items may look pretty and practical the quality may not be up to par.  However, that could happen with any item.

I do like your idea of using the soap dish as a jewelry holder and I thank you for sending pictures of your finds. I will be making a quick trip to Big Lots soon to see the holiday collections!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement, upbeat @spiderw !

It was a bummer to discover that flaw-- I hate returning things.  But pleased that the tooth brush holder and soap dish are A-OK.  And look so good-- can't get over that!

Not sure if I'll chance another of their lotion dispensers, but maybe.  The amber pump bottles "coordinate" beautifully with the khaki set, so could sub one of them in as a dispenser....

Have fun in your holiday hunting expedition, and hope you'll report back.  I couldn't stop to look carefully, but there was definitely more tantalizing Christmas gear there than the last time I checked.  It seems to be coming in strong now.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

BigLots had sooo many beautiful things either last year or the year before in the Christmas aisle. They had one whole section of creams and whites in pillows, floral,etc. I prefer that over the traditional red and green bc that can take you in Jan/Feb. I like more of a winter wonderland nature theme than all things red/green🎅 Santa, etc. but that's just me.

And of course you can't beat TJ and Marshall's for reasonable holiday theme items. 

I do like the sandstone items you scored a lot. And also liked the honesty in the lotion mishap. True, it could be a fluke but one never knows.

I've  never had luck with lotion dispensers and I've bought and tried several over the years. Just been my experience and I think they're beautiful and kept trying. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Interesting to know of others having problems with pesky dispensers too, @LoveMyBaby !   I too have gotten faulty ones before, but when the pump on this one worked smoothly, I thought all was well....  Didn't anticipate leaks out of the side!

I love the creams and whites too, and as you say, it extends your ability to use throughout the all-too-long winter, so pretty.  I've gotten more use out of Valerie's 4 antiqued, chalky white birds than just about any other Christmas decoration....

Respected Contributor

Love the textured look of these.  I just wish the soap dish was smooth inside.  I can see making a project of scrubbing residual soap out from between the ridges.  ish your pump bottle had been perfect.

Honored Contributor

I love that marble stand!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @candys mine !  I do too, but there may be a solution.  We read that another customer fixed her "oozing from the side of the container" problem with, get this, crazy glue.  Hubby immediately decided he is going to try also, so here's hoping we have success.

Honored Contributor

To anyone who might want to know if the Khaki lotion dispenser can be fixed.  Yes it can!  Hubby got a form of glue called "Loctite Super Glue",  the liquid form, NOT the gel.  He coated the small areas on the outside of the container where we think the "oozing" happened.

It is clear and not detectable, and the textured surface of the dispenser seems to disguise it nicely.  And it has completely stopped the leaks!!

So now we can continue to use our "hotel luxe" type dispenser for liquid soap or lotion, yay.