Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does anyone remember Don Aslett? He was the pioneer when it came to writing books on minimalist living. I remember reading "Clutter's Last Stand" and how influential his books were on how I decorated. 

At one point in our lives we were moving from one state to another. I went to the library and gradually checked out every book he wrote, @Trinity11 

I loved his writing style and am a big fan.  I went through our entire house getting it ready for our move. When the movers came they said there wasn’t much for them to do as I had decluttered and thoroughly cleaned every inch. I may have been overly enthusiastic as I got rid of some things I really regret. For example, going through my recipe box, I threw out some handwritten recipes from my mom, thinking I would never make them. How foolish and wrong of me. If I could only undo that...

Trusted Contributor

We had the house we live in now built. I tried to think of all the things I wanted that I wished I’d had previously. In my bathroom I wanted plenty of storage. I also had a tall cabinet with door built on the side of the counter. 

I had the electrician put an outlet in there so I could store and plug in my electric toothbrush.  That took care of that! The less stuff on the counter, the better. 

Honored Contributor

How clever of you, @Teddie ,  to think through all those things in advance, and have them incorporated into the house.

I love this stuff too!  The videos really are fun, especially if you don't try to cram them in all at once.  I tend to need time to reflect and absorb the tips that make the most sense for me...

Trusted Contributor

Well, I’m not quite clever enough because if you talk to anyone who has built, there are always things that aren’t the way you want them. An example: while we were figuring everything out (we had a terrible draftsman, my husband says he should have insisted our builder get someone else), husband decided to take 2 feet off the backside to cut some expense off, as he was getting nervous about that. We both regret that because that is where a bathroom with tiled shower and also my laundry room is - not in same room. Since it’s on the backside I had wanted a large laundry room, complete with a window. All of that had to be cut out. I have a small laundry room and no window. I’m sad about that but at least I don’t have to go down to the river and beat our clothes. 

That’s how I feel too, @Oznell about taking it in and what I’ll probably end up doing. I’ll look forward to it! 

Respected Contributor

Kitchen organization interests me, I'm always trying to improve on it.  I need "things" within some degree of eyesight even if within a cabinet.

I noticed in the videos the women showing their spice organization were proud they could see what they had and I thought "no", the spices way in the back were still difficult to access or see but then maybe they know what's there without looking.  I also don't want to climb on a step stool to get anything except the most infrequent use items but using baskets is really smart for those top shelves.

Most recently I see I need a rack to corral the various racks that go to the pressure cookers and air fryer.  Right now they are precariously stacked on a shelf, ridiculously difficult to access "the one".  But then where does it then live?  One problem begets another.  I could use a room-size pantry.

I've been given the green light for a kitchen rehab and have no idea what to do but organization will be primary.  I had so much heavy Polish Stoneware that the upper hanging cabinet was pulling away from the end wall where it was attached.  I stored a lot of it under a bed.  That's nuts.  I thought of that when the "minimal mom" was showing how nice it looked with nothing under her bed.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I've been watching her (Dawn) a bit over the winter.  Not to say that I'm a minimalist by any means but I find some of the things she does interesting and entertaining.....I might pick up a few tips too.

Honored Contributor

A room-sized pantry is a great idea, @Free2be ,  and would solve a LOT of problems!