Honored Contributor

"Minimal Mom" Dawn's precious little boy demonstrating family tooth brush organization!   Is he not the cutest?  I digress.....

snapshot.jpg

This is basically just for those interested in the whole "decluttering--organizing-- arranging" spectrum.   Dawn of "The Minimal Mom" pulled together some savvy 'home organizers' who gladly share their methods this month.  They call it the "Mega March Home Tours".

Dawn, the 'Minimal Mom', is a true minimalist.  I am NOT a minimalist, although I faithfully declutter.  She is truly detached from most decor, which I could never be.  But I've still picked up some great pointers from her over the years.  Her style of organizing is "Lady Bug" which IS like me-- she likes to throw things in labeled, "broad category" bins, out of sight.

Here's Dawn's organized house tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7R_cvgwYs&list=PLZ-AWUEixtg1PRA8UPQL5sUwESpsQ9QX3&index=1

snapshot.jpg

Denise, of "This and That with Denise Jordan" below,  is a long-time homemaker who enjoys sharing her expertise with those less seasoned.  I love that her particular organizing tour concentrates on the kitchen, which is one of my weak organizing areas.  As in, 'under-sink chaos'.  Calm Denise makes it seem all so "controllable",  ha.

Here's Denise's kitchen organizing tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4tKpoFmMpM&list=PLZ-AWUEixtg1PRA8UPQL5sUwESpsQ9QX3&index=20 

Screenshot_2021-03-10 Organized Home Tour with Focus on the Kitchen Mega March Motivation.jpg

"Frugal Fit Mom" below,  on her channel covers so many things, from finance to food to organization.  Here in her contribution to the Mega March Home Tour, she's bursting with ideas and tips, almost too many to absorb at once!  She's also quite funny.

Here's Frugal Fit Mom's organizing tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyaBema_3A

snapshot.jpg

That's a lot of 'home organizing' content!  I have to pace myself--  watch a little of one video, then come back. But it's worth it, for the good ideas they have.

Honored Contributor

I am not a minimalist and have much decor in my rooms.  However, the videos were interesting in that I have organized with some of the suggestions the women had.  

I have many bins where I keep things  to alleviate clutter.  The problem is that I would need so many bins that the bins would soon clutter up the rooms!!!!  

However, I appreciate the ways these women keep their items as organized as they do.  I am currently in the process of trying to condense and get rid of  items I do not need.  I also when getting rid of whatever do not replace and do not add.  That would not serve the purpose of downsizing.    I do all this when motivated and try to do one area at a time than conquer the whole room, I  learned that

Thanks for posting and showing we can organize with some simple changes. . Also I learned once you get rid of items, your forget what went out of the house meaning you didn't need or use it!!!!!

The little guy is adorable, love his smile!

Honored Contributor

I have much the same dilemma that you do, @spiderw ,  as a non-minimalist.  I love decorating, and some of my treasures, but don't want to have so much that the bins that they are stored in become a problem in themselves!

One of the things that Dawn always mentions, as she did in this video too, is that organizing doesn't help that much, if you don't do the decluttering first.  And of course, everyone has to declutter to their own "comfort level". 

Dawn's one of those people who simply does not want very much "inventory" in the house to have to manage.  She says it even oppresses her visually to see it, or to know that she has to store it and make future decisions whether to keep or chuck, etc.

I totally understand that mentality, and share it to a lesser degree.  But temperamentally, I'm more in Denise's camp (of "This and That With Denise Jordan").   She wants to be organized, and SOMEWHAT decluttered, but also wants a little bit of "pretty" around, in a controlled way.   I liked her example of having one little out-of-the-way area in her kitchen for decor, and the rest of it geared for "utility".   That's kind of near my own "middle ground"!

When motivated, I do get a great feeling from decluttering everything I don't love or need....

Honored Contributor

Oznell

I can also relate to Denise Jordon having organization and also having decor as opposed to next to nothing around the house.  Finding an area to put collectibles and such is a good idea instead of having so much in every space!  

I do believe that just throwing clutter into bins to hide it isn't the way to go.  As I go through things I always discard and alleviate.  I find it difficult to part with my sentimental items but even they are in the line of fire, LOL. 

I think people feel in order to organize you must get rid of everything but I think organization can be managed where you still can be happy with the decor you love.

I know one thing I cannot imagine living as a minimalist , it lacks warmth in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell     That is a great idea for toothbrushes and paste.  I don't have a drawer but that photo gave me an idea of an organizer to hold my toothbrush and paste.  Thanks for sharing.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: "ORGANIZED HOME" TOURS

[ Edited ]

Does anyone remember Don Aslett? He was the pioneer when it came to writing books on minimalist living. I remember reading "Clutter's Last Stand" and how influential his books were on how I decorated. 

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @spiderw --   even sentimental items in "the line of fire", as you so colorfully put it.  I've been there too!

@Katcat1,  it's interesting you mention that about the tooth brushes.  Even something as small as that-- that intrigued me too.  I'd consider that too, if I had a free drawer in the bathroom-- it's more appealing to me than a bunch of vertical toothbrush holders with their bristling forest of toothbrushes....

@Trinity11,  that name is very familiar to me --  I didn't know in what context, or that he was in the forefront of minimalism.  Now I'll have to look him up!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, @spiderw --   even sentimental items in "the line of fire", as you so colorfully put it.  I've been there too!

@Katcat1,  it's interesting you mention that about the tooth brushes.  Even something as small as that-- that intrigued me too.  I'd consider that too, if I had a free drawer in the bathroom-- it's more appealing to me than a bunch of vertical toothbrush holders with their bristling forest of toothbrushes....

@Trinity11,  that name is very familiar to me --  I didn't know in what context, or that he was in the forefront of minimalism.  Now I'll have to look him up!

@Oznell , he wrote books but he also sold some cleaning products on QVC. His advice was invaluable especially for living in a cramped Manhattan apartment. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks, @Trinity11 --  I wouldn't be surprised if that's where I first heard his name--  through his impressive cleaning reputation.  Interestingly, I think that several of the advocates of a more streamlined, minimal way of living were originally 'cleaning gurus' of one sort or another.  Makes perfect sense-- it's much easier to keep a home clean that isn't crammed to the gills with stuff!   

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

"Minimal Mom" Dawn's precious little boy demonstrating family tooth brush organization!   Is he not the cutest?  I digress.....

snapshot.jpg

This is basically just for those interested in the whole "decluttering--organizing-- arranging" spectrum.   Dawn of "The Minimal Mom" pulled together some savvy 'home organizers' who gladly share their methods this month.  They call it the "Mega March Home Tours".

Dawn, the 'Minimal Mom', is a true minimalist.  I am NOT a minimalist, although I faithfully declutter.  She is truly detached from most decor, which I could never be.  But I've still picked up some great pointers from her over the years.  Her style of organizing is "Lady Bug" which IS like me-- she likes to throw things in labeled, "broad category" bins, out of sight.

Here's Dawn's organized house tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7R_cvgwYs&list=PLZ-AWUEixtg1PRA8UPQL5sUwESpsQ9QX3&index=1

snapshot.jpg

Denise, of "This and That with Denise Jordan" below,  is a long-time homemaker who enjoys sharing her expertise with those less seasoned.  I love that her particular organizing tour concentrates on the kitchen, which is one of my weak organizing areas.  As in, 'under-sink chaos'.  Calm Denise makes it seem all so "controllable",  ha.

Here's Denise's kitchen organizing tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4tKpoFmMpM&list=PLZ-AWUEixtg1PRA8UPQL5sUwESpsQ9QX3&index=20 

Screenshot_2021-03-10 Organized Home Tour with Focus on the Kitchen Mega March Motivation.jpg

"Frugal Fit Mom" below,  on her channel covers so many things, from finance to food to organization.  Here in her contribution to the Mega March Home Tour, she's bursting with ideas and tips, almost too many to absorb at once!  She's also quite funny.

Here's Frugal Fit Mom's organizing tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyaBema_3A

snapshot.jpg

That's a lot of 'home organizing' content!  I have to pace myself--  watch a little of one video, then come back. But it's worth it, for the good ideas they have.

@Oznell 

I Have seen her YouTube channel.  She is a cute girl and yes, she has done a great job of minimalist, but I could never live like that.  Whatever makes her and hers happy.  That is a cute child.