Honored Contributor

Re: "ORGANIZED HOME" TOURS

[ Edited ]

I do have to admit Dawn has inspired me to get rid of a lot of clutter. 

Did you know Rubbermaid multiplies in your cabinets.  Medicines will do the same.  My pantry has a lot of food that was past its shelf life date.  Clothes have a way of getting past me. I gave a trunkload of clothes away, some of which had never been worn. Baking items?  I no longer bake because it temps my DH with brittle diabetes. I got rid of a lot of Calphalon.  I only need a couple fry pans, a Dutch oven and a couple sauce pans. I kept all the Corningware, an awful lot.  I had a big clock collection, some of which were antiques, but I sold them to a dealer and will sell or give away the rest.

I still have miles to go:  China,crystal, silver holloware and flatware, etc. Children don't want any of that.

Honored Contributor

I did exactly the same with all my kitchen pots and pans, @Nonametoday ,  and that's one thing that really 'lightened up' my kitchen.  I still have more than is necessary.  It's funny how in that room especially, we can end up with so many multiples!

Oh, boy, my bathroom-- you mention medicines, etc.  That seems so hard to winnow down.  I think that minimalists can be helpful with getting rid of a lot of this utilitarian stuff that really isn't needed.

The china and other possibly sentimental faves,  hand-downs, etc. you mention, that is very hard.  Sentimental items are my downfall.  A few things I've gotten rid of that I rather wish I hadn't!   And of course, other things that just hang around and should probably go.  

You're so right that most of the next generation has interests that lie elsewhere!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 

I remember Don Aslett and still have some of his kitchen towels..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Yes, the China, crystal and silverware, a lot of which are handmedowns and some my mother gave me as gifts, some from my bridal showers from very dear friends, many of whom are no longer with us.  I have parted with a good deal of my grandmother's furniture but I still have both grandmothers' mothers' chamber pots.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

You know what I like most about this organization/minimalist Dawn?  She is happy in her own skin.  She does not desire to be anybody but herself nor does she desire what others have or to stay trendy. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I have much the same dilemma that you do, @spiderw ,  as a non-minimalist.  I love decorating, and some of my treasures, but don't want to have so much that the bins that they are stored in become a problem in themselves!

One of the things that Dawn always mentions, as she did in this video too, is that organizing doesn't help that much, if you don't do the decluttering first.  And of course, everyone has to declutter to their own "comfort level". 

Dawn's one of those people who simply does not want very much "inventory" in the house to have to manage.  She says it even oppresses her visually to see it, or to know that she has to store it and make future decisions whether to keep or chuck, etc.

I totally understand that mentality, and share it to a lesser degree.  But temperamentally, I'm more in Denise's camp (of "This and That With Denise Jordan").   She wants to be organized, and SOMEWHAT decluttered, but also wants a little bit of "pretty" around, in a controlled way.   I liked her example of having one little out-of-the-way area in her kitchen for decor, and the rest of it geared for "utility".   That's kind of near my own "middle ground"!

When motivated, I do get a great feeling from decluttering everything I don't love or need....

@Oznell 

In 2007, I think it was, when we gutted all our floors, bathrooms and kitchen, I gave away trucks load of decor items.  Some I have really regretted and others I do not miss.  For various reasons, there are things I wish I had kept because they not only return in style but they had precious memories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You know, @Nonametoday ,  I think you are right.  Dawn has a kind of bouyant, clear-eyed "centeredness" (to use a too-trendy word!) that is very appealing.  She's a great representative for what she believes in, due to her authenticity, unforced warmth and good cheer.

Hey, talking to you earlier about bathroom stuff spurred me on to tackle my under-sink area again this morning, and boy, is it a lot better!  After decluttering, I decided to group things broadly into two cardboard boxes instead of just one, under there.  One holds nothing but all of our cold remedies, lozenges, cough syrups etc. etc. (hubby seems to like to have a ton of cold remedies on hand, more than I'd ever have, ha).  The other has our extra grooming stuff and other things too big to go in medicine cabinet. 

Just that small amount of "divide and conquer" really helped, so thanks for mentioning bathroom clutter, which got me started!

I kept thinking of Dana White's (another terrific organizer, but not a minimalist) little maxim, that a cupboard is a "container", and if something doesn't fit, you either have to get rid of something else, or decide the new thing doesn't belong.

That's helped with my coffee mugs too.  I have one kitchen cupboard that I have designated to hold mugs, and I can't get more than that cupboard 'container' will hold.  If I want to add new, must get rid of an old mug.  Keeps the collection manageable, for sure...

Edited to add:   Oh, @Nonametoday , just saw your most recent post-- yes, same boat here-- the things with the most dear memories are the hardest, and I've had regrets about chucking a few of those.  I console myself with the idea that at least my addle brain is clear enough to HAVE those precious memories carefully preserved, even if the thing that sparks them is gone....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, @spiderw --   even sentimental items in "the line of fire", as you so colorfully put it.  I've been there too!

@Katcat1,  it's interesting you mention that about the tooth brushes.  Even something as small as that-- that intrigued me too.  I'd consider that too, if I had a free drawer in the bathroom-- it's more appealing to me than a bunch of vertical toothbrush holders with their bristling forest of toothbrushes....

@Trinity11,  that name is very familiar to me --  I didn't know in what context, or that he was in the forefront of minimalism.  Now I'll have to look him up!

@Oznell Toothbrushes:  I have a pretty large bathroom and our toilet room is closed off (with a door) from the spa-like room, so our toothbrushes don't get exposed within the 6-feet range of the toilet.  I keep them out on the counter but I buy packets of 12 at Costco, one for each bathroom x2 (not the 3rd bathroom).  I keep the extras once I open the original container in a container from that prolific Rubbermaid compay. However, I do believe that toothbrushes should be kept far from the toilet as possible but putting them in a container and closing them up when they are wet can create fungi and yeast.  So I am pretty sure most would rather take the chance by standing them up than putting them away to get fungi or yeast (thrush is a horrible thing to have in the mouth.  I have it occasionally from so much steroid and maintenance antibiotic use).

Honored Contributor

Oh, good point about the toothbrushes, @Nonametoday .

Trusted Contributor

I just love things like this. I will have to come back later and watch the videos.