Honored Contributor

"LUGGALA", MAGICAL IRISH COUNTRY HOME OF THE GUINNESSES

"....Luggala sits in the landscape like a lost piece of wedding-cake sculpture, glowing white against the black Wicklow hills."   So says a book I have on Celtic design.

This incredible little Gothic structure, originally built in the 1790's, burned to the ground in 1956.  What you see is a painstaking exact replica they resurrected of the original building.

The Guinnesses, the most famous family in Ireland, were the owners of this and the 5000 beautiful acres surrounding it.

dam-images-books-2012-luggala-days-luggala-days-book-03.jpg

8df558de95c0.jpg

It's so like a fairy tale, it's become a cliche to refer to Luggala as magical, but I can think of no better word!  It was a mecca for artists, film people, the "intelligentsia".  The mistress of Luggala was Oonagh Guinness, who married Lord Oranmore and Browne:

Her son, Garech Browne, assumed ownership of the estate, and was painted as a young boy by no less a painter than Lucian Freud, in this famously arresting small portrait:

Could go on and on about this storied place and its owners and history!  If interested, just google Luggala and so much pops up.  Here's a last look at the estate:

Honored Contributor

Re: "LUGGALA", MAGICAL IRISH COUNTRY HOME OF THE GUINNESSES

Absolutely stunning, elegant, classy, beautiful in every way.  This is for me and having all that land is such an added appeal.  I am so glad it was rebuilt after the fire.  I have always loved the formal look since I was young.

The history of Luggala is so interesting, thanks for some insight into this spectacular estate.  I would be happy to move in any time!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell @This is so interesting thank you for posting.  Will check this out - so beautiful.  My mother was Irish and when we visited her home - which we did every summer - there was a large beautiful house and estate in her village where most of the villagers - including my Aunt and Uncle -  were employed.  I attended their annual fair which they put  on for all the villagers/employees and the grounds and home were exquisite.  We had great times there.

So many beautiful estates in Ireland.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  P.s. love the painting of the son!

Respected Contributor

She looks like she has a Jay King Necklace on. LOL

Trusted Contributor

Wow, I had to read this twice.  Interesting it burnt to the ground.  I honestly thought it looked really really white, but like almost brand new.

I will have to read more.  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I think there are a few castles in Ireland that have been burned for one reason or another. Some of the burnings have had to do with the the Irish struggle for independence. I have been to Glin Castle a few times. Desmond Fitzgerald was connected with the Guiness family somehow, Ireland's history is complicated.Glin_Castle_County_Limerick_Ireland.jpg

Honored Contributor

How right you are, @PA Mom-mom, complicated it is.  That's a beautiful picture of a castle you posted, am assuming that is Glin.

Respected Contributor

Total perfection.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh I love the windows! The whole place is gorgeous. Thanks for the trip and tour @Oznell