Honored Contributor

"HOUSE BEAUTIFUL"'S COFFEE TABLE STYLING

[ Edited ]

1426870466-hbx0312070f.jpg

It's never NOT time for coffee table ogling!   Here's HB's little compilation of what different designers do with theirs.

(The above HB coffee table image wasn't in the video, but I had to include--  how often do you get to see a chartruese leather chair, PLUS coordinating vase and book, ha.)

Fun that the first guy shows how he serves dinner for two on his little antique trunk.  His vintage house is so cute!

Their personalities are all so different!   Kiyonda had the most varied tips, I thought--  love the way she incorporated a thick sketchbook into the design, so she could pursue her hobby while lounging around. 

The one I felt the most kinship with was Mikel Welch, who I've never heard of before.  I LOVED his wood bowl, weathered books, and that ancient wood wheel-- I adore raw, wood elements, obviously.  His table to me was the most striking and drew me in the most.

It got to be funny where the one designer kept insisting on calling it a "cocktail table", rather persistently!   And her kitty did what ours do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynktdwj_QOI

And here's a bonus 3 minute video of photographer Brandy Jackson trying different looks on her table (which is an ottoman.)  She's very monochromatic, and her style is what I would call "undone" and sort of "modern vintage loft".   Her possessions are few and carefully selected-- marble, hand-made glass boxes, old wood bowls and trays.  Not for everyone, be warned, but I like her.

And the music that plays while she tries different things is  fun, funky and soothing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSqWxKC_eSs

Respected Contributor

Re: HOUSE BEAUTIFUL COFFEE TABLE STYLING

Where do you put your glass of wine and snacks when you are spralling on the sofa binge watching NetFlix in your jammies?  Asking for a friend . . .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I can get past cogitating on what those two bizarre looking brushes, assuming that's what they are, are doing atop the red book. I do sort of like the acid green leather. I might check out the videos later but I also know that ottomans as coffee tables are non-starters in my world. As far as it goes, I change up my coffee table often and there are no rules and no way to be 'taught' how to stye a table. It's a trial and error process until I know I got it right.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Where do you put your glass of wine and snacks when you are spralling on the sofa binge watching NetFlix in your jammies?  Asking for a friend . . .

This is probably the 'for looks' living room and the TV room is elsewhere, though looking very carefully, I do see a coffee cup wedged in atop one of the stacks of books before the green chair.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee   A "friend" I know uses Tablemate II (extra large)

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at Tue, Aug 11, 2020-1.55.45 PM.png

which holds huge amounts of "Netflix & Prime" snacks & drinks.  Note the glass holder. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ha, @Peaches McPhee ,  the floor maybe?  I don't take it seriously, or worry about practicality with coffee table videos-- for me, curiously, they're more of a fun spectator sport.  I LOVE to see what others do with theirs, and the more individual and quirky, the more I enjoy...

With my family, I do have to make sure that there is room for actual coffee cups, etc.    I personally don't like a "crammed" table.  But when we play Trivial Pursuit or Uno, I have to remove my tray, and presto, plenty of room.  Having a tray on there, instead of items just on the bare table, really does make life easier!

Honored Contributor

Hey, @Mz iMac ,  I ordered one of those from QVC, but keep forgetting to use it-- it's under the couch as we speak!

Honored Contributor

Since I'm working on my coffee table at this time I found the videos interesting.  I liked that one of the designers had two remotes on her coffee table.  The designer that you liked @Oznell  is the one I liked the most, too, with the wooden bowl.

I also enjoyed looking at their couches and the room in general.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With any coffee table decorating, it appears that the decorator forgot one important thing....WHERE DOES ONES CAT GO.....and if there's no room....doom and gloom for whatever you decorate with which will end up on the floor....

Resized_20200701_203454 (1).jpeg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Nice, @Oznell 

I wonder why no one ever includes coasters? Whether you have coffee or cocktails, the glasses/cups will eventually produce moisture.

I always have some, even if it's just me these days.  My current coasters are the fabric ones from the Harry Potter collection that Pottery Barn sells. So cute, with tassels. Also handy if you always forget the names of the four houses.

HARRY POTTER™ HOGWARTS™ House Crest Tassel Coasters, Set of 4 - Assorted |  Pottery Barn

I also have several sets of the Pimpernel coasters. Some are like little bits of art and all have a cork backing.

I have some very practical ones that depict a sailing ship to coordinate with the pictures surrounding the living area.

I couldn't find an exact image of the ones with sailboats but they're kind of like this, soft with a rubbery backing.

Sail Boats Coaster (Set of 4)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.